Brought my first home

steele

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just bought my first bike today. 1980 XS400 (special, i think) it's looking a little on the pathetic side right now, but I figure a couple months, a few dollars, a little elbow grease and lots of loving it will be looking good very soon.

373835_10150406016002436_840802435_8443812_206125179_n.jpg

Thanks for the welcome Oliver.
I actually have the "missing" parts, they're in the cab of the truck. lol. I didn't want them falling off/out as I was driving home.
I'll get more pics with everything in place and post em. Then the fun begins.

Steele

Welcome to the forum. I think I have ya beat on missing parts but I couldn't find the picture to post up.

Do you have the carbs? I notice they are missing in the picture. If not someone here might have some or ebay may have some.

I'd count on more then "a couple months" :) But no worries you will get there.

Shaun

Shaun,
Thanks man, the carbs are also in the cab.
And, by "a couple months" i mean the next 1/2 year... lol notice i also said "a few dollars" lol

Welcome.

Get 'er rideable by spring and you'll be ahead of most people when it comes to a project like that.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

welcome, looks like a good base to start with, any ideas what you'll be doing to her???
(and i dont mean that) (you know who you are)

Thanks Dobbie,
I think I screwed myself when it comes to build designs.
I was all ready to go with a bobber style until I started looking around this website. Damn you people for having such great ideas and beautiful bikes. lol
After switching gears between bobber, cafe and brat i finally decided what i was going to do ... with the exception of a few minor tweaks, I'm going with a straight up, no nonsense restoration. Original seat is in great shape, tank looks good, the innards need a lot of work and she needs some cleaning, sanding and a repaint.

Quick question all,
I was talking to people at Yamaha to get a service manual, and they asked if my bike was a g or gs? ummmmm.... since it doesn't even tell me its a 400xs on the title, how do i find out, nothing on the vin sticker on the front of the bike helps. (btw, i know i shoulda checked first, but i just found out my vin matched my title, yay, i wasn't screwed. lol)

The vin should tell you what model it is. Like mine is a 2v6-001578 the 2v6 means it is a 1979 xs400 2-f

Heya steele, from a new guy to a new guy Welcome! You will find the resources found in this forum are invaluable.The guys on here are great and very,very knowledgeable. My two cents worth of advice is be patient, be dilligent, do work son and read the manual. We all have to start somewhere. Two months ago I found a 1979 xs400 in a garage that had been sitting for 28+ years, now Im riding her to work. Luckily she basically needed a tune up!
VIN number code will tell you all you need to know. There may be some links on this site if you go back on old threads.If not there is sites on the internet where you can just punch in the code and it will tell you Year ,Make, Model.Good luck!

Chris and Neo, thanks guys, found a thread that had the vin to model list. seems I have me a xs400 gs special, now i can order the right service manual.

Neo, you're right, so far everyone on here has been welcoming and helpful, I can only hope that once i get some experience and work done under my belt, i can help others as much.

Basically the same as mine. The Yamaha parts catalog found on many dealer's sites will tell you. One model has wire wheels and drum brakes front and rear, the other mags with front disc and rear drum. "SG", IIRC. Those were the versions in the U.S. for 1980-81.

Back