Building process

namvt91

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi new to the forum. Just bought a 1982 xs400 maxim. Needed some help on the rebuild. Thought this would be a great place to get some insight. This is my 1st bike.

First of the things I noticed wrong on the bike.

1. Needed a new throttle cable and control.
2. Clutch is really tight engages right away. (most likely needs a new cable.)
3. When your engage the rear brake it stays down and does not let off when you take your foot off.
4. Front brake does not work. (Maybe needs fluid or the calibers are seized.)

Now to what im working on.

I have parts incoming for the bike but to find the specific year is tough. I got a new throttle cable its a pro motion. Its the right year so it says. But its to short to where when I put it on it always pulls my throttle a little bit. Now I can get it to idle. But the cable has to hang like a foot to the side of my bike.

As for the throttle control. I got a 1978 throttle control and it has light on/off switch. Its a 4 prong. Idk if the 82 is like that would a 78 throttle control fit onto a 82 bike? They look very different.

Thats everything I been working on so far. Other parts I have coming are cables and rear brake assembly. Ill post pics soon and I hope someoen can help me with this.

Finally some pics up

full

full

full

full

The person who did the work seem ed to have taken the struts off, and obviously put a single pan set on. Also I think a aftermarket tank, or the painted original cant tell.

Seems like what i was just doing. I had to replace the Speedo cable, my front brake fluid was powder/cake. I just finished the Master cylinder kit, replaced the hydraulic cable with a metal braided one, I have been getting all my parts from my local Hitching Post, I think I need to replace the piston, or some sort of cylinder refurbishment. Good luck

Yea definitely have my work cut out for me. I from Cincinnati, and I don't know many bike shops around me. But GL on yours post some pics when your done.

There used to be a shop call "Autobahn Craftwerks" in Cincy. They worked mostly vintage BMW's but knew alot about any vintage bike. I stopped in a couple times when I was out there back when I had my R60/5. We used to drink beers in the garage and swap stories for a couple of hours. Hopefully they're still around.

I may have a spare throttle housing and switchgear for a maxim 400 for ya. that 78 set is gonna need some rewiring to work. Also the Motion Pro cable is for a Seca, i ordered one too and it revved to the moon when installed on the Maxim unless you do some creative routing. I may have a throttle cable for ya too. PM me if interested. I have tons of spare parts for these as I've had 5 Seca/Maxim 400's now.

I may have a spare throttle housing and switchgear for a maxim 400 for ya. that 78 set is gonna need some rewiring to work. Also the Motion Pro cable is for a Seca, i ordered one too and it revved to the moon when installed on the Maxim unless you do some creative routing. I may have a throttle cable for ya too. PM me if interested. I have tons of spare parts for these as I've had 5 Seca/Maxim 400's now.

greedy :D

Question about the bike what kinda of rear brake does the xs400j maxim use is it a drum brake? The brakes needs repairing or sorts but I dont know where to start.

yeah its a drum. also that is a stock tank. Also, I hope those mufflers are secured somehow. You don't wanna crack the exhaust ports on the head...

Ok thanks yea I finally got the throttle and front brakes working now just the clutch and rear brake. The mufflers are not secured. The guy told me he welded them on and there harley pipes. What do you think the best way to secure get some rods and weld it to the frame?

bolt to a frame bracket is best, as you will want to take them off sometime to work on the head or whatever!

Back