Can anyone ID this part?!

t0mmy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been trying to get my XS400G to run smoothly for a few days now, went to go and clean the air filters (one looked like new and the other like below) and noticed that one of the air filter tubes was damper than the other. Would this explain the damage to the filter?

Also, I was checking out the rest of that area and noticed that there is a rubber grommet on one side above the carbs but, not on the other. Shown on the photo below.

My bike used to run (before it died completely last night!:confused:) with the choke on but, not without. The spark plugs have signs that the bike is running rich.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 265
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 256
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 251
Your air filters are shot and will need to be replaced. The brass barb on the right side boot is for your fuel petcock vacuum line and must be capped or connected to the petcock. Looks like you should take apart the crabs and give them a good cleaning.

Do you have the original petcock that runs from vacuum or an aftermarket manual petcock? If the original, it is probably shot which is why the intake boot is not connected to it (which it normally would be). If you have a manual petcock, just cap that barb with a rubber cap from an auto parts store. Without a cap, you are just letting raw air in and the bike is running way, way too lean. I'm not surprised it was not running right- it can't with that barb uncapped.

Yes, replace the air filters, but I don't think that the is the real problem right now. Your intake boots are cracked, so I would replace or seal those up with silicone. You've seen your plugs, I haven't, but the condition of what I see points to lean, not rich.

Thanks for your replies guys - great help.

A buddy brought the fuel tank over and I can attach the petcock to the brass valve (dumbass problem solved!)!

I am going to replace the left hand air filter and the carb boots. As I have to take them out anyway, I'm going to go ahead and clean them while I'm at it.

I just assumed the bike was running rich as the plugs have a thick, soot like covering?

Not to highjack this thread but does anyone have a pic of the original petcock? I will have to take a pic of mine's tomorrow and post here for you guys to tell me what I have.

My bike has the right barb capped (as you sit on the bike) while the left one gets the fuel. OP, thanks for posting this. I was planning to ask the same question but you beat me to it.

Quick add on...

I was going to just straight up replace the air filter that is currently in the bike. What's stopping me from replacing both filters with oval style filters?

Quick add on...

I was going to just straight up replace the air filter that is currently in the bike. What's stopping me from replacing both filters with oval style filters?

the hassle of stripping your carbs down to get the right mains/pilot jets in! :wink2:

If you are too lazy to re-jet, then you can go the route that I took and restrict the air flow after the pods somehow. I grabbed some stainless steel pipe segments from a local hardware store that had the same OD but a smaller ID compared to what was on the stock boxes. The first plugs seemed to indicate that it ran a little lean, so maybe she's trying to tell me that 4" wasn't quite long enough. :laugh: I haven't had any performance change though, so it seems like it is within the tolerable range. Eventually though, I do plan on doing a more thorough analysis, but that will require me to stop being afraid of screwing up the carbs :D

Back