Changing the fuel filter on a 1983 Maxim?

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done this before and can provide some good instructions? I'm not sure if the bike needs a new one but it has been sitting for 3 months now.

If you don't see a fuel filter it probably doesn't have one. There is some screen material in the float valves and up in the tank. Just find one that fits, get some good fuel line and add it in. Nothing to it really.

Last edited:
its in the carburetors. Just install an inline fuel filter, that is by far the easiest. You will have to cut your fuel line in half, and probably make it a bit shorter.

Before you run the Maxim, just install the in-line fuel filter ($3 and 5 minutes work - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7574&highlight=fuel+filter).

Then, siphon old gas out and put fresh Shell 91 (no ethanol) gas in. Drive the bike around for a short while. If it runs fine, the carbs aren't broken so DON'T fix them.
I bought mine last April and PO had it running fine. I did the above and then rode it 13,000 kms (including so far this spring) and didn't make a single adjustment to the carbs other than the idle set screw on the throttle cable. If I had to fill up with gas that had ethanol, I would add a little bit of SeaFoam which apparently acts like a stabilizer if you aren't running the gas through in short order.
Until you know the bike doesn't run right (for sure), don't touch it.

I am sure that the odds are long on 2 Ontario Maxims being sold with perfect carbs, but the more I read about carbs on here, the more determined I am to filter the fuel and never adjust anything until (and if) the thing starts to run differently.

My carbs weren't broken, they were just dirty. It ran okay for a while, but since I cleaned the carbs it starts on the first touch of the start button, it needs only 30 seconds of choke even in the worst cold and it runs perfectly. Unless you can say this is the case for your bike, I would clean those carbs before you end up stalling it and being stuck somewhere at the side of the road. After theyre clean, the inline fuel filter will keep them that way.

Okay so in the photo I attached, would the wire I cut to insert the fuel filter be the one labelled A or B? Or is it another one altogether? Just want to be sure so I don't ruin anything :)

Attachments

• fuelfilter.jpg
    fuelfilter.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 289
It's definitely line A. But what's that thing halfway the line, that could be one already. If the PO had any sense he would have already put one in there. Looks to me like he did, but it's hard to judge as these things come in many shapes and sizes.

The line indicated with A (the urine colored one) is the fuel line.

There is also a black rubber tube going from the petcock to the rubber carb boot behind it in the picture. That is the vacuum line, this makes the petcock work when the engine is turning. These petcocks don't let the fuel flow out freely in the ON and RES positions, they need the vacuum which they get from this rubber line. In the PRI setting however, the petcock allows fuel to flow out freely. This PRI setting can be used to drain the fuel from your tank, or to fill up your float bowls after having emptied the carbs (when you've cleaned them, for instance). But for now, leave that one the way it is. When you get around to dismounting your carbs, you can just pull this one out the carb boot.

B indicates an electrical wire going into the starter motor (that's the round thing laying on top of your engine there). Don't cut that one :)

It does look like its the wrong way around. Is there an arrow on it and if so, which way is it pointing? Or can you post a more detailed pic of it?

Yea looking at the filters in the thread that Lou posted the link for here, it's definitely the wrong way around. I would recommend just replacing the filter and the fuel line in one go not too long from now. This way the filter is going to get full of gunk pretty soon and then you'll have a blockage. And turning this one around releases all its collected dirt into your carbs, so also not a great option. And these things are cheap, so just get some new stuff to be sure.

Black rubber fuel line lasts longest, the clear stuff tends to get very hard and stiff over the years.

Ah damn what if I just kept the same fuel line and just replaced the filter? I just fear that if I go into Canadian Tire and ask for a fuel line for an old motorcycle they won't have a clue what I'm talking about

That is a fuel filter on it (I've used similar ones before) and I do believe it's installed backwards. The arrow shows direction fuel is supposed to slow.

It's definitely backwards so don't just flip it around, get a new one.
If you can pull the old one out against the "fish-scale" ridges on the filter, then you could use the same tube.
I got new line at CarQuest and it was less than $1. Sandy McTire should also have what you need. I think it is just standard 1/4" gas line - just ask for gas line (not plastic tube for other fluids)

Attachments

• Sandy McT.jpg
    Sandy McT.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 115
hmm if I use it only a few times a week, do you think it will last a few months before the line gets clogged with dirt?

But yeah I'll see about getting that line and filter soon.

hmm if I use it only a few times a week, do you think it will last a few months before the line gets clogged with dirt?

But yeah I'll see about getting that line and filter soon.
Mine has lasted over a year and over 13,000 kms and no sign of the flow slowing down in a measurable way.
There isn't much dirt to trap but some of the tiny holes in your carb need even less dirt to plug them up. Then instead of the 5 minute job it's a day of disassembling, boiling, reassembly, re-install and then doing it all over again at least twice because you missed some.

of course you could use the old fuel line, but thats also pretty universal and cheap. Better to change the whole line+filter.

You could of course not follow our advice and see how far you get with your current setup, but the filter is definitely going to get clogged sooner or later. And then you'll probably be somewhere far from home, in the rain, on a tight schedule to get somewhere, in the middle of the night.

:)

I took a better photo of the fuel filter last night, so it is backwards then?

Attachments

• IMG477.jpg
    IMG477.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 667
You mentioned about going into an auto part store and asking about a filter?I dont know if you have Oriliey`s,Advance auto or Autozone but they carry them.It can be a small inline filter of any type as long as it fits your fuel line you`ll be good.The make a a speacil clear type of fuel line that doesnt get hard and crack like the gereral clear line also.Any type of fuel line as long as its the proper size will work.The filters are only about $3.

Back