Clutch Cable

mpark620

mpark620
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was looking at a clutch cable that ran a bit shorter on dime city cycles. This one runs about 47 inches and I needed it shorter since I have clip-ons.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...cables-yamaha-xs400-clutch-cable-05-0062.html

53 inch xs400 cables:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...cables-yamaha-xs400-clutch-cable-05-0027.html

The other ones I'm looking at are 53 inches, which I currently have, but just wanted to make sure the SR500 clutch cables would work with the XS400 clutch. I talked to one of the guys there and he told it should work since they both have the same ends. Anybody have experiences with these?

Also my biggest concern is if they'll fit or not. You can see in the image that the part where the cable goes into the clutch engager has a metal housing around it. Don't know if that would get in the way or not? Anybody have any advice on this or a similar experience?

You can use a stock cable with clip-ons fyi if you monkey with the routing. I've done it before. Just so you know!

I haven't actually measured mine, but my original cable worked ok with clip-ons. I just had to mess around with the way it went through the frame. You could always try that first if you have one and see if it works for you. If not you can buy a new one :) I bought my replacement cables on ebay.

How'd you maneuver yours through your frame? Everytime I try doing it, it builds up way too much tension and it's near impossible to press the clutch lever down.

Avoid extreme bends. You want the cables to arc and swoop around as much as possible. It's been a while, but for long cables I will arch over the headlight and go under the gas tank through the triple bars of the frame under the gas tank. For shorter cables you can go through the triple tree.

If your cable is too tight and too short with clip-ons you're doing something weird with the routing. A stock cable with clip-ons should be quite a bit longer than is necessary; definitely not too short.

Of course pictures are far easier than explaining this in words! I've definitely seen schematics of the stock cable routing; it might be in the manual.

Back