Cold starting

jrp123

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Need advice on starting in the cold. When the weather is warm, above 60 all I do is put on the choke hit start and it fires right up. But know on some of these cold mornings it will not start it just cranks. Did this yesterday and it was about 50 in the morning (bike is in the garage), would not fire and had to take truck to work :shrug:. When I got home it was about 65 out and she fired right away. Bike is driven most of the time and was not sitting for anly longer than normal.

Looking for ideas of things to do or check.

Thanks

need to give it a service;

valves, ignition timing, spark plugs and balancing. there must be something not quite right which the temp tips it over the border of recaltriancy ( i made up that last word i think)

After checking what Drewpy recommends, on cold starts at temps around 60-65 F and above, you probably only need choke out one notch. I usually twist throttle once or twice before cranking. At temps below 60-65 F you will probably need choke out two notches. With all things right, these bikes are easy starters.

Thanks,

I pulled the plugs and they look worrn. Nothing bad just well worn, will change them out tomorrow. Not sure what is ment by balancing (carb syncing)? Under normal conditions she runs great lots of power and good speed. I can do 80mph on freeway and still have more speed if I need it. Is it possilbe there is an issue with the electronic ignition? According to the specs I have the TCI unit on this one.

need to give it a service;

valves, ignition timing, spark plugs and balancing. there must be something not quite right which the temp tips it over the border of recaltriancy ( i made up that last word i think)

recaltriancy is a made up word that is not known to any dictionary or encyclopedia that i can find. -- But it sounds good. lets make up a definition and submit it to websters dictionary.

recaltriancy-- not running or starting correctly due to some natural means.:D

I would deff try balancing the carbs. The reason i say this is because i had the same exact problem about two weeks ago and balanced the carbs and it starts better than it ever has for me! just put some vacuum gages on there and even them suckers out!

Back