copper washer in main switch

bennymack

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First time posting here. I have worked through some electrical issues on my recently purchased 78 or 79 xs400e (TL0) with the use of the wiring diagrams found on this site so thanks for that! When I got it, my main ignition switch was loose so I pulled it off to take a look and it pretty much came apart when I unscrewed it. Now I can't get it back together with all the parts that were in it. There's a little copper washer that I can't factor in. If I leave it out, the whole thing goes together fine. But if I put it in, then the whole thing binds and I can't turn the key. I couldn't find an exploded view of the assembly anywhere online so I'm hoping someone can help me out. Thanks!

Did you try bikebadit.com? thats where i always go when im looking for a good blown up view never had anything i couldnt find on them.

I found the switch itself on bikebandit but not a breakdown of the whole thing. It's just treated as a single item, at least in the schematic I found.

Most of the schematics are like that. I had a spare switch sitting around, took it apart. At first I didn't see a copper washer, then I went further and disassembled the lock/spindle assembly. I saw a copper washer or bushing that sets into about a 5/8" hole. Is this the washer you are referring to?

I believe that's the one. I have been trying to fit it between the base of the switch that contains the handlebar lock and the nylon piece that toggles the lock bolt in and out. Is that where you found it in yours? I'm guessing that I've got the incorrect sequence of parts..

I have been trying to fit it between the base of the switch that contains the handlebar lock and the nylon piece that toggles the lock bolt in and out. Is that where you found it in yours?
No, the washer fits in the main body of the switch, in the hole that is about 5/8" in diameter. At the end of the lock cylinder there is a small tab that pushes into the lock cylinder. When you insert the lock cylinder into the main body push the tab into the lock cylinder and move it past the copper washer and it will pop out and retain the lock cylinder in place. It takes a little bit of playing around to do it. Its easier done than said.

Back