Exhaust noise coming from under the bike

actually, just found a seller in germany who is offering it for 20 euros. Should I get the standard 2-component kind, or the kneadable single-component 'HighHeat'?

Why don't you just do away with the bad center pipe and patch over the pipe by welding a piece of shaped metal over it.This would a permanent fix,no trying wraps and all.Another option I read mentioned would be using high heat copper silicon.
I had experienced the same kinda leak but the crossover pipe went directly to the muffler.My solution was just cut the mufflers off and the crossover pipe install new mufflers and rejet the carbs.Seems like a lot of work but no more messing with it.

... Should I get the standard 2-component kind, or the kneadable single-component 'HighHeat'?
Can't believe the price. Should be under $10 per package.
As to temperature tolerances, check and compare the fine print on the labels.
As I recall, the virtue of the High Heat is that it doesn't flow, however, the temperature tolerance might actually be lower as a trade-off. Certainly, the High Heat would be superior to all the other putty-type formulations, if not the regular which over here is 400F (sustained) and 550F (intermittent).

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with Scorpio, do away with the crossover pipe. Or replace it with a new section of pipe. Messing around with patches is a temporary fix at best. Fix it right and get back to happy motoring!

Willem - How much would it cost for me to just buy you a bunch of JB weld and mail it to you myself? Would you up for that, just pay me for the actual weld and the shipping, PM me if you wanna give that a try. Canadian Tire sells High heat and other styles for 10$ Cdn each

Unless you know of some shipping or local laws that prevent JB weld from entering the country?

rECREATE I know you have good intentions but buying jb weld to patch is nothing more than another band aid fix.Willem need a permanent solution and fix to his leaking pipe.I think my suggestion is probably one of the best offered.By the time you keep buying patch material you can have this fixed already

Recreate- thanks a lot for the offer, much appreciated. But if I'm gonna buy JB I think it's better to get it from Germany instead, with the shipping and all. Probably quicker as well. But I'll keep it in mind :)

You guys are right, cutting the center pipe and welding the holes is probably the way to go, especially after seeing what state of the exhaust was last time. Just leaves a few practical issues to overcome: not having a car to get to the welding shop is one of them :p Also I wonder how much it would cost me in labor to get it sorted. Probably a lot less than getting a replacement exhaust.

right so I found a shop close to work where they specialize in car exhaust welding. Going there today in my lunch break, if they can fix it right away I'll do that. If I don't forget I'll take some pictures for you guys to see the results :)

I should have done this the first time around :thumbsup: , gonna cost my only 40 euros. Thats about as much as I've spent so far on all kinds of goop and wrap which didn't work in the end. Back at work now, only took me 20 minutes getting back by public transport. Waiting for them to get around to it today as they were going for lunch when I got there. They don't even have to take off the exhaust, they'll just do it with it in place.

I'll post some pics when I get it back later today!

I should have done this the first time around :thumbsup: , gonna cost my only 40 euros. Thats about as much as I've spent so far on all kinds of goop and wrap which didn't work in the end ...
You can't really blame yourself Willem, it's probably in your DNA. What little Dutch boy wouldn't first try a patch?

I can really identify. Over the years, I spent quite a bit on stop-gap measures on cars so I could get to work the next day. Sometimes, if the hole allowed a 360° soup can wrap, it would last for months, but not often.

Most recently, I resisted crawling underneath to wrap the big steel mesh flex pipe in front of the catalytic converter. Just paid a pro and $120 later had a brand new one and was as good as new - whisper quiet, like a giant Goldwing.

Attachments

• Willem.jpg
    Willem.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 133
ta-daa :)

not the best looking welds I've ever seen, but it works!

all the power is back :eek: no more high rise idling, no more shitty starting :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20131115_165008.jpg
    20131115_165008.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 151
Back