Finally finished my '81 bobber

Travis Lowe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
image1.JPG

It took some time and some money but I was finally able to finish my bike off to my vision. I took a lot of inspiration from Fong Brothers designs. I wanted something that echoed a salt flats racer. I would have loved to have done some things differently on the bike however I had to have it pass a vehicle inspection and so it had to be done legally. I got ahold of an old XT500 21" wheel and threw that on upfront with a 3.00 21 Shinko 270, the rear's is original with a 5.00 21" Shinko 270. FYI I read a lot of back and forth here and there about wheel size and blah blah blah, I just had to trim a little of my custom rear fender for the 5.00 16 Shinko 270 it fit fine no problem otherwise. As well the XT500 21" went on no problem. The focal point is an absolutely mint '76 Harley Aermacchi Rapido tank that turns heads everywhere. Balanced it out with larger 6 1/2" tear drop headlight up front that replaced the smaller Harley sportster light it had on before. I added clip ons because they really take up less space visually speaking and don't detract from the look like a lot of other bars I tried. Had to add a chain guard and mufflers, would prefer just to run straight pipe with baffles but don't feel like getting another vehicle inspection notice. Same with the taillight and plate, would have like to kept it a side bobber light with vertical plate but it's not legal here. Esthetically speaking I'm pretty pleased at how the bike looks. It runs like jack the fucking bear. Just got to change out the exhaust wrap to black.

Attachments

• IMG_8359.JPG
    IMG_8359.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_8361.JPG
    IMG_8361.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 146
  • jjjj.jpg
    jjjj.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Looks great. Just have to change that 125cc to 400cc. Maybe a removable decal to keep the tank mint?

Have to ask. It says "United States" under your name but I'd swear that's a "Beautiful British Columbia" license plate. Up in BC somewhere?

Looks great. Just have to change that 125cc to 400cc. Maybe a removable decal to keep the tank mint?

Have to ask. It says "United States" under your name but I'd swear that's a "Beautiful British Columbia" license plate. Up in BC somewhere?

somewhere maybe. yeah I paid 30 bucks for new decals on the tank so it would be mint so 125cc it will be LOL.
that's like $75 in canuck dollars.

Back