Front Drum Brake Cable

JSak

James in Atlanta
Reaction score
Hello and Happy Memorial Day! :bike:

I have a quick question that I'm hoping somebody will be able to answer. I have a 1980 XS400 Special II with the front drum brakes, and I need a new brake cable. I found an exact OEM cable, but its a little expensive. I know a few of the early 70s XS650s have front drum brakes, and I was wondering if anybody has tried to use the cable available on MikesXS, first cable listed.

After looking around, I think any brake cable that is the right length should work, as long as it has the little nipples on the ends, but please correct my ignorance if this is not true.

I believe you are correct that as long as the end "nipples" are of the proper diameter to prevent "pull-through" you are good to go... You'll probably end up with a clutch cable with the "adjuster" nut/thumb screw on one end.

You can try "Motion Pro" cables - they should have universal applications that would fit...

Here's a link for you...

http://www.bikebandit.com/1980-yamaha-xs400-motorcycle-control/g/a658119?mg=8600&t=1

You have a good question as the front brake cable is proprietary. A little while ago I did a search for my son and didn't come up with any other source other than from Yamaha. Yes, it is a little pricey. I checked the link above and didn't see a front brake cable listed. He has not yet purchased a replacement so an answer to your question might also help my son.

agree with chris, yamaha stuff is miles better in quality than OEM stuff. I always get NOS yam cables.
I buy off ebay when I don't need them straight away, but then when you do need them, I have it in stock so no supply issues.

I do the same for oil filters too.

Ok, I found a NOS part on ebay and I went ahead and ordered it. I'm still convinced any brake cable would work, but I don't won't to spend money on something unless I'm sure it would work. Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

That's a good reason to put cable lubing on your maintenance list.I've always been fanatical about it.I'm with you,any cable with the right length and size of the round thingies on the ends should fit.I've even made the ends up with melted fishing weights,filed down to the same size,not encouraging anyone to do that,but anything's possible.....lha

i had issues with my clutch cable i.e. it stretched to the end (NOS item) i always lube with me pressure cable oiler. the new one was so light it was a revelation!

Yeah,the cable oiler is a good thing.By the by,Drewpy where did you get the carb kit you showed in a post a while back?I need one,well actually three,one for dt400,two for xs400rj seca.Any help greatly apreciated!!!!!lha

Drewpy,thanks for the help,however,they had only a bag of 25 float bowl screws.Funny though,The site asked me for the part#,and after typing in 1975 dt400,they showed me parts for xs400.Strange,but every site I go to[I think I've been there before]does the same.I've looked on 20-25 sites,and nothing.I have an '82 xs400rj seca DOHC,haven't seen any listing for this bike,but fairly common to find earlier ones.Thanks for the lead.....lha

BTDT motorcyclecarbs.com lists dt400c/d/e,for 1976-'80,but not for mine,which is dt400b.also lists xs400,1977-79,and others,but no xs400rj.I've not given up yet,but when I contact them,they respond with something like"We have no listing for that model # check your owner's manual for correct model #and resubmit your search correctly" I guess they think that if they piss you off enough,you'll stop disturbing them.......lha

Back