Front fork preload?

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
I just dropped my forks through the yokes 1.5 inches because I'm fairly short but now my fork bottoms out under moderate braking. Is there a preload or something I can do to make them stiffer or do I need to replace the oils? If I need to replace the oil is this hard or can it be done relatively easily?

Also, I need to drop my rear an inch now to even it out. How can I do this?

Thanks for the help. I tried looking in my Haynes manual for the answer but they didn't mention either of these things specifically.

in the old days that is how you adjusted your dirt bike shocks. i have three different grades of fork oil on the shelf still from that dt400 i used to ride.

It's easy to change the fork oil and that is what I would try first-something thicker. Pop the plastic cap off the top, compress the steel cap, use a pick to remove the ring, then take the drain plug out. Refill with 142ccs of oil.

Hello guys, i was wondering the samething, but i have heard that once you press the cap down and remove the clip that the spring inside has a bit of tension, is this true? and would it be safer to use a press?

Last edited:
Put the front end in the air on the center stand or jack stands and there will only be a very little spring pressure when you take the ring out. A press is way overkill.

The number of people who don't download the free factory service manual from this site or elsewhere amazes me. I try to post this link as much as I can so people know. It is the only manual I have ever used on my bike and many have told me it is much more accurate than Haynes. It's a bargain at twice the price.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503

Here is what the factory manual says:

forkfinal1.png

forkfinal2.png

forkfinal3.png

forkfinal4.png

Last edited:
Thanks Hough. I just replaced the oil with the thickest stuff I could find 10W-40 and it is much better now. However, I wouldn't mind it being a bit firmer as well. Is there any way to do this or do I need to replace the springs?

Thanks Hough. I just replaced the oil with the thickest stuff I could find 10W-40 and it is much better now. However, I wouldn't mind it being a bit firmer as well. Is there any way to do this or do I need to replace the springs?

put a bit more oil in, the air compressed in the top in compression will act like a cushion

Back