Gas cap lock issue?

DanMach

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a XS400J. 82 if it matters.

So I filled up yesterday and everything seemed fine. When I got to my girlfriends I noticed I smelt like gas on my pants... I checked over everything on the bike and it seemed fine. Not wanting to risk setting myself on fire my buddy picked me and the bike up and took us home later.

Fast forward to this morning and I found the issue. I was going to take the bike off the center stand and when moving it forward tons of gas came out of the gas cap. I wiped it all up immediatelly and tried to open the gas cap but now it won't work. I put in the key, it turns slightly but that is it. I've tried every which way I can think of and I have not got anywhere. The key still fits perfect in the ignition and works fine there, so I doubt its a key issue.

Is there any way to force the gas cap open? I heard that there is some kind of button I can press if I slip a slim piece of metal under the gas cap to open it but I can't seem to find that either. Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Dan

Call it whatever- the round part on the spring that is pressed against the filler neck when you shut it. My guess is that the rubber seal is dislodged and wedge in there somehow.

Ah I see what you are saying.. ya that could be it. Once it cools down some I am going to give it another go and see if I can't figure it out. I'll post a follow up once I'm done.

Thanks!

Well I got it open.. still not sure what exactly caused my issue but I just put a crap ton of weight down on it and turned the key and it opened. Something must of been stuck somewhere... but I don't see any damage or signs of wear beyond what was there before.

Back