having carb problems!

hellojamin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
so when I bought my 81 xs400 special a month ago it ran perfect, started on the first kick. The other day i was riding around the neighborhood and it started to bog a little bit when i pulled the throttle. it kept doing this until it eventually died in my yard and wouldn't start. Next time i tried to start it i turned the petcock on and fuel started pouring out from somewhere, it looked like the airbox on the left carb, still wouldn't start. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them with carb cleaner and then changed the oil and spark plugs and the bike started fine, first kick and firing on both cylinders, but it still puors out fuel when i turn the petcock on! it's my first bike and i'm getting pretty frustrated, any advice? do i need a new float?

It could be that your float valve just has stuff on the seat preventing it from closing. It could also be that the float is adjusted improperly. I had this happen when the float was set according to the manual, but the manual is wrong (26mm is right on a SOHC with BS34 carbs). It also could be that a float is full of gas- if so, replace it. I guess the neele or seat could be messed up and need replacement, but it's usually dirt.

give the float bowls a tap, that sometimes dislodges the crud.

I always advise that an in-line fuel filter is fitted!

I am not entirely sure about this, but I have one question? What part regulates gas from the gas tank? Is it the needle valve. It could be that there is a bad gasket in the carbs somewhere or that they are flooding.

Find out the exact location where the gas is leaking from?

Back