here's an issue

drewpy

Excess twin
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Getting the tracker dialed in today and the wierd thing is, its running rich BUT is hotter than hell. I can feel that heat man.

now I'm using DOHC carbs with 45 pilots and 142.5 mains. It accelerates real good but it bogs from tickover (rich) and the sparkies says so too!

the ignition is dialled in and spot on, carbs are synced via gauges.

the only thing left to do is fit a baffle maybe ( its really loud, did I tell you that? :laugh: )

this may create a bit of back pressure and help with the fueling! :shrug:

I'm tempted to stick it on the rolling road dyno when I've quietened the exhaust to get a better idea where I'm at but have no time for the next 4 weeks!

I noticed the DOHC's use 8's spark plugs instead of 7's, would that make a difference?

As an aside;
I sprayed some cleaner on the bike today and the freaking paint reacted and it looks all stained where I've sprayed it :wtf: i'll scrub or re paint when I get some more time!

Yea I learned the hard way too... never get ANYTHING on your paint... ever. When it's less than 6 months to a year old.... EVERYTHING reacts to it... sorry i dont have anything useful on the motor =/

I saw your photos and the pods you used look like emgos, are they? My theory is that your pod filters are blocking the pilot air jet causing a rich condition. The rich idle mixture can easily mask a lean condition at higher rpms. Hence why you get both rich and lean symptoms.

The spark plugs do make a difference; the service manual for my Suzuki gsxr 750 says that if you're running rich use a plug one step hotter. If you're running lean you're supposed to run one step colder. The numbering convention of these particular plugs indicate that a higher number is colder.

As bcware said, if you are using NGK plugs, a #8 is colder. Some manufacturers use ascending numbers for hotter plugs while some use descending numbers to indicate hotter plugs - such as NGK.

thanks for the input guys.
@bcware I have emgos but they are away from the carb so can't see it making a differece as the air flow is uninterupted.

@ruined thanks man I just found out

I think i will stick with the 7's I have on and looking at the CV carb tuning site, I may lower the fuel level in the bowl to create a leaner condition for the pilot and a bigger Mains to compensate!

sounds like a plan?

Give it a whirl; playing with carbs is fun when you have something else to ride in the mean time. Oh, and I totally missed that you're still using the stock plastic bodies before the carbs.

Back