Heres my custom XS400S Build. In Progress.

Kentursula

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Well to start off. Im now freshly 18 got lots of know how already but am still learnin a lot. Ive basically just worked on dirtbikes and trucks and can do basically anything to them. Just recently rebuilt my first Harley too. But back to my story about the bike. Thats what your here for right? So I met this guy my parents are friends with and he tells me bout this bike hes havin issues with and doesnt really have the time for. well I said how I was lookin for a bike and after a bit of talkin a few days later I went out to get it not knowing exactly what it was. he just knew it was an "80s yamaha around a 450". Well I offered him some cash but he didnt want it. So I came home with a free bike. So now Im just waitin on the title to get in. so heres the pic I took the day it came home.
643971_484666911544286_1007789498_n.jpg
took me a few days to get time to work on it but I went out and got a battery for it and after an extreme carb cleaning session I got it to fire up. I ended up discoverin my intake boots were cracked and It was leanin out causin that hanging rpm. some rtv silicon got that temporarily fixed. Btw I took off all of the original air filter rubbers. including the H section. I plan on running pods. The originals were a fine powder.:laugh: So next up was to mess with the exhaust some. basically I cut the old ones off. cut a glasspack I had for my truck in half its about 2.25 inch inside diameter 2.5 on the inlet/outlets. the I made endcaps to hold all the packing in then used the cone of the old muffler to go up to the 2.5 inlet on the glasspack then welded everything on. Its not pretty but It flows and sounds ok. (wish it was louder) might be sumthin with the old muffler cone. I plan on makin something better this winter. But recently Ive painted the tank, fender then some of the other chrome on the front end. basically gonna be a darker look. Also did I mention sissy bar came off and I put dirtbike bars on. In the middle of changing the dirtbike bars the front brake master cylinder decided to suck up some of the disgusting gunk that was in the reservoir and quit working wouldnt bleed right. So now the bike has a Harley master cylinder I found layin around at our shop aparently that was dumped. A few scratches never hurt. But heres the pics that you all love to see. throw any ideas you guys got at me. I may have electrical issues doesnt seem to be charging.
400885_494676490543328_243729039_n.jpg
250149_494676917209952_1160327810_n.jpg
564421_494677263876584_674677856_n.jpg

The stickers are all under the clear coat and the Yamaha emblems are gonna go back on once i decide on the color. I wanna try the primer gray with black background. most of the aluminum on the bike will be a like wire brush type finish if its not goin matte black. exhaust is probably gonna be wrapped too. black, tan, or titanium?

Last edited:
Back