How do I check/test my spark plugs?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm going through the manual and performing basic maintenance on my bike for the first time.

I don't have any special tools in regards to spark plugs.

How do I check/test them to insure that they're in good working order?

Take them out, lay the electrode end against the the head, dim the lights and crank it over. If you have a nice, fat blue spark, you're good to go. If the spark is not bright or is hair thin, you may have a problem.

Drewpy, you would be the only guy to do this, but did you index your plugs on your race bike? if you did was there any difference?

I have become compulsive about plugs and check them after almost evry ride. IDK why.Thin line between hobby and mental illness I guess.
So far they have always looked cookie brown at the electrode and normal but I still clean them with a brass brush.

Be careful about removing and replacing too many times,and use anti-sieze grease on the threads. If you don't,you'll remove them with the threads on the spark plug,and none on the aluminum head. Don't ask me how I know,but believe me it does happen. lha

haha heli coil much? hehehe..I had a volkswagen and screwed the plugs into a hot engine crossed threaded and seized it in there. bah what a noob. had a real mechanic remove it and install a hela coil in there.
With the bike, I just like looking at the plugs to see she is running.Hear ya though.

You don't have to crossthread the plugs on an aqluminum head to screw them up,just remove them hot at the wrong time,and you'll come out with aluminum all over the plug threads.I always wait for the head to cool before removing the plugs,and I use anti-sieze. lha

Also a good idea if you have a no spark with the electrode touching hold the plug about gap distance from a cooling fin and push the starter button. If you suddenly have spark your plugs toast. (Self grounding is bad). At 2.50 a plug why not just swap em anyways? Also do you have a wear indicator chart ( color n all that info)?

That's the link to the ngk spark plug chart with pics for most wear conditions and normal wear with a description for each. Good luck and happy wrenchin

Back