How to Rejet

xs1980

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to get a re-jetting kit for a XS400 and any trick to doing it. I checked eBay but the kits I saw didn't seem like re-jetting ones. Thanks for any help.

There's an ebayer by the name of 6sigma that can sell you a rejet kit. You give him what mods you've done and your altitude and he sends everything you need for top performance, including instructions and support. I think it's about $39 for the kit. He has good feedback, so maybe check that out.

Sigma 6 did great with my kit for an XJ650. I will use them for my XS400 too.

I went with him too following advice on here. Haven't gotten the carbs back on the bike... as they've taken a good bit of cleaning.. along with everything on the bike.. but with 2 sets of mains I should be able to get pretty close.

I think there is a site ( mikes xs400 ) or something very similar that lists all sorts of the jets. Someone her surely knows of it. Its where i got mine and they were like $6.50 a set . Check the XS650.com site also .

Just watch out on Mikes since everything there is intended for the xs650. Some parts will work on the xs400 but not all. Carbs should be ok, both ran the same carbs.

+1 on 6sigma jets. I got them for something like $40 for the pair and it included plenty of shims (both steel and nylon), two different sized jets for each carb, and two drill bits, one to drill out the plug to get to the mixture screw (if you haven't already) and one to drill an auxillary hole in the slides (optional). The instructions are thorough and tailored to your customizations and also include tips like drilling the auxillary holes in the slide and snipping the springs as well.

And here's a tip for a first timer (I learned the hard way)... be sure to use a magnetic tray and be EXTREMELY cautious with the needle clips. If you drop them, you may never find them.. a pain to replace for sure.

after putting on a spray tube so i could be more precise with the starting fluid in checking for leaks, i found leaks on the throttle shafts on the outside of both carbs. Now there little seals in there behind the clips and fiber washers. Both were pretty well dried up. I just happened to have an O Ring assortment kit and I found 2 that worked perfectly and it did not leak there afterward. However From a schematic I have of the carbs I cannot tell if there are also seals on the shaft on the inside of the of the carbs. it only seems logical. Anyboby know? . It hasn't solved the problems I have but there is an improvement and if the inners are bad and replaced it may be the elusive fix .

Back