It's below freezing here. Is it safe to use my trickle charger?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a Yuasa Smart Shot 900 12v trickle charger that I'm using in a semi-enclosed environment with my bike. By semi-enclosed I mean a roof with open (fully ventilated) walls. It gets pretty cold down there.

One of the warnings that the instructions include is "NEVER charge a frozen battery".

A friend of mine stated that, assuming the battery isn't frozen, the trickle charger will keep the battery warm.

How cold is too cold? Is it okay to plug my bike in when the outside air is below freezing? What about colder than that? 15 degrees, for example?

A good battery should not freeze in your climate which is very similar to where I live. By good I mean a battery that is in reasonable condition, has a charge, and will hold a charge. If the battery becomes fully discharged it will freeze and at that point you may as well figure it is finished. If you are concerned about it freezing why not just take it out and keep it in the house over the winter? Any battery worth keeping should hold its charge over the winter. If it doesn't you were due to replace it anyway.

My bike battery is sitting on the workbench in my unheated garage right now and will be there all winter. I might put a charger on it for a short time in February just to top it up.

I store a car in an unheated barn all winter with the battery in it and only the negative cable disconnected. When I put the car away the battery is fully charged and I have never had one freeze in 30 years of doing this. The car has always started right up in spring.

I learn something new everyday and this is no exception. Thanks for the tips.

I plan to ride all winter, which is why I asked my initial question. Otherwise, I too would bring the battery in and keep it warm. My plan is to leave it out, in the bike, ready to roll, trickle charge active.

If there are any other considerations or suggestions that I should know about, please do tell.

I trickle charge mine with an optimate. it's on all the time. Bike batteries are really fragile things and don't like being discharged you never seem to get the amps back.

With the tracker its got an alarm battery, I'll unhook it to stop any ferrus reaction and if it don't charge get a new one from my mate for free!

Robindean, I live in Valparaiso, Indiana, the far eastern edge of what is called "Chicagoland", so I am in the same climate you are. I put my bike in my unheated garage with a "smart charger" all winter long. Last year it worked fine. I'm doing the same thing this year.

Hough, good to know but that's not the important question. The important question is: when are we meetin' up to ride?!

:)

I top up the cells, charge it the store it in a warm area for the winter. After ten years it still is working fine. Btw is a cheap walmart bat.:laugh:

Back