Left Engine Cover (Stator) 78 vs 81

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I had to cut the left engine cover (stator) off my '78. One of the bolts holding it on was completely fused to the case and engine block via rust. Believe me, I tried everything to get it out over the course of several days. Blow torch, bolt removal kits, penetrating oil, drilling, etc; the metal is simply too hard. I even flattened the gripping grooves off the biggest, meanest vise grips I could find. Once I cut off the case I inspected the bolt by cutting a cross section of the case away. It was rusted 360 degrees around the entire length of the bolt.

Now, I need a new stator cover; not just the little round one, but rather the large left engine cover. I found an '81 cover for cheap, but I am not sure if it fits. Bikebandit lists these covers with the same part number, but looking at the photo reveals some slight design changes and I am wondering if they are simply cosmetic.

I am confident the left side case will hold oil fine even though it is missing a bolt now.

Hi Bc

When I saw your post I went down and snaped a couple pics of my housing wich just happens to be clean and sandblasted. May help you to better see what will fit yours. This engine is out of one of my 1978's and it matches my frame numbers. I have an 80 or 81 engine in my garage aswell (not clean), but if it will help you to figure out what you need I can snap a couple more pictures won't be pulled right out. I also included a picture of my new round cover. That seems to be a weak spot because of the two engines I have both had cracked around the counter bore for the screws. I decided to have mine laser cut so I drafted them up in cad. I plan on having the yamaha tunning forks cnc engraved into it before I have it powder coated.

I'd be happy to share my cad drawing with you or anyone else on the site. Probably cost the same as buying a new old stock one of __-bay but its different. I actually thought about having one cut out of copper but laser can't cut copper so I would have to waterjet it which costs more. So I'm sticking with steel for now.

Attachments

• P1010504.JPG
    P1010504.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 112
  • P1010505.JPG
    P1010505.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010506.JPG
    P1010506.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010503.JPG
    P1010503.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010502.JPG
    P1010502.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 112
can't think of any changes except for the one from 360 to 400, which was purley cosmetic.

I got a CNC one with a little window for £45 ($90?) delivered from Germany via socrates on this forum.

e930d8e2.jpg

I made an offer on a '78 2L0 cover on ebay before I left for work and luckily it was accepted. I appreciate the effort from everyone though.

Back