Making a battery box, which size battery is best?

jray

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi fellow excesses, im going to relocate my battery under the swingarm, there seems to be just enough room for a smaller battery. Has anyone attempted this before? If so id be interested in what designs proved successful.

Ill be using a Yuasa YTZ sealed battery and have the option of the two following sizes. The smaller of the two, the YTZ5S, will fit but im not sure if it will have enough grunt. has anyone had success with a battery of this output? The bike is kickstart.

Battery Type: YTZ5S
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 3.5
Dimensions: 4.4" x 2.25" x 3.4"
Metric Dimensions: 113mm x 70mm x 85mm
Acid Volume: N/
AAmps: 0.4
C.C.A.: 65

Battery Type: YTZ7S
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 6
Dimensions: 4.4375" x 2.75" x 4.125"
Metric Dimensions: 113mm x 70mm x 105mm
Amps: 0.6
C.C.A.: 130

Kickstart only or are you keeping the starter too? If you keep the starter you need a battery with the same capacity as the stock one. If you are going with kickstart only and just need a battery to excite the charging system, you can get by with a pretty small one.

I assume you want to attach it to the swingarm?

I wouldn't recommend it there is a lot of vibration etc under there, not the best place. I'm going to run a 2.3 amp alarm battery, peeps have run a cig packet sized battery before.

thanks guys.

Yep, you read correctly, its kickstart. But to save my reconstructed right knee from further wear Ill probably leave the starter motor connected so I can jumpstart the bike when its cold/been sitting around for a while, using one of those portable jumpstart batteries. But of course only kickstart when running off the Yuasa YTZ.

Ive taken the centre stand out and there seems to be ample room underneath the swing arm. Plan is to make a box that mounts to the centre stand lugs and stabilises using the rear brake switch lug.

Ive decided to go with the Yuasa YTZ7S as it should fit into the space while providing additional grunt. Ive experienced starting bikes with tiny batteries and it aint fun....

I saw on ebay a gel battery at $24.99 4.5"L,2.81"w,3.37"h,cca50. search motorcycles,asian,electrical.Not me selling,just thought I'd pass it along.It will,I'm sure it would run a kickstart only bike,unfortunately,mine is electric start only,no kickstart but maybe with 2?. lha

righty-o, ive completed my battery box. As my first attempt at both metal work and welding im really pleased with the result.

I folded mild steel into a 5 sided box with an open base. Two 10mm stud connectors were welded into the front of the box which bolts into the centre stand mounts. I welded a side mounting tab that bolts to the rear brake swith mount to hold it securely in place.

I made a metal cradle that the battery sits in. This is then inserted up into the battery box which has two more stud connectors welded into each side that bolts it into place.

The result is a hidden battery that can still fire up the starter motor and save my already knackered right knee :thumbsup:

IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg

When I make a battery box, I leave it open on top...if you ride in the wet it's not the best idea. But, I make it about 3/8" bigger than the battery. Then I glue foam on the bottom and the four sides. I force the battery down inside and they never come out. For looks sometimes I will put a leather belt over the top.

When I make a battery box, I leave it open on top...if you ride in the wet it's not the best idea. But, I make it about 3/8" bigger than the battery. Then I glue foam on the bottom and the four sides. I force the battery down inside and they never come out. For looks sometimes I will put a leather belt over the top.

yep, open on top, surround with foam. Mine is just wedged in there and doesn't move a smidge...

Back