My own build/ problem thread

fc10a3

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've asked enough questions, thought I would keep them all in one place.

To start I have a 82 xs 400 with electric ignition conversion (but not a special). Rebuild engine, tranny, new carb internals, and electric starter removed

Have you ever had those days where you keep finding things wrong but then she still doesn't work that was last night. After finding about 5 different things that would cause her not to start (when the night before she did) I think I finally found the main problem. I'm not getting any fuel into the right side of the engine. I know this for sure because left plug was wet and firing (at the time), and right one was dry and not firing (bad plugs). So its gotta be in the carb, where should I start looking?

Build wise its going to be my own style, not attached to any given look. Although you'll probably catagorize it into something but at this point I'm not going for any style. Besides changing bars I've ditched the crappy paint job and decided to sand 'er down with 60 grit then clear coat for a nice brushed steel look. After shes up and running next will be electrics but we'll get there.

Pics up later today as I'm trying to go to work atm.

Thanks all you guys are awesome here!

not enough fuel flow from the tank, or the float height is wrong on the left carb shutting off supply before the other gets it's share.

that's all i can think of.

Alright solved fuel, turns out the carb boots were not attached it a air tightened manner, so it wasn't able to pull enough vacuum. the left would fill and would thing that the right was filling and it was but there wasn't enough fuel for it to fill with. Thats hopefully all sorted out now. On to new problems.

1. Bike starts first kick (no choke), at about 1500rpm the slowly increases all the way to 4000 when warm. The bike will continue to rev a 4g every time I pull in the clutch. However there was been a couple times when riding the clutch a bit when coming to a stop it was able to settle at 2g. Yes drewpy I've done hot key one again (clean carb) and still squeeky!

2. Around 4000 rpm I get a horrible grinding noise from the motor, the whole bike shakes. I'm hoping its just the rings and all seating but still it kinda worrying me. I'm going to change the oil tonight. Thoughts and I'm gonna take a video when its not raining

3. I can't rev it past 6500 when driving. It'll pull hard to there then just bogs down, any gear.

4. What bars do I have?
Bikerunning.jpg

Last edited:
Back