Need help interpreting bearing selection chart in manual

IanW

IanW
Reaction score
I am rebuilding an '82 SOHC and must replace the crankshaft bearings. The colors have completely worn off the bearings, so I have to use the chart in the manual to determine the correct replacements.

The case bearing numbers are 443
The crank bearing numbers are 211

Does anyone know how to read this chart to interpret the correct colors?

Crankcase No Journal No Insert
3 1 Blue
4 2 Black
5 - Brown
- - Green

What is confusing me is the middle digit: the case number is 4 and crank number is 1 so do I buy Black or Blue bearings?

I am sure there is an easy answer to this question. Any help will be much appreciated!

for the crank its;

bearing insert number = crankcase number (found at rear of crankcase) minus crankshaft journal dia number (on the crank webs) = ?

then refer to the chart for the number with the colour

----

in your instance its;
4-2=2 =Black,
4-1=3 =brown
3-1=2=black

but then the official manual goes on to state;

"use bearings of identical colour for assembly (both con rod and journal bearings)

----

con-rod insert # = con-rod housing # (found on a flat part of the crank web, 2 numbers) less crankpin # = ?

then refer to the chart for con-rod insert #

I'd recheck you have the right numbers for what you are doing.

Thanks for the help Drewpy!

So the correct instructions would be:

Subtract the journal number from the crank case number and then select the color of the bearing based on this chart:

1 Blue
2 Black
3 Brown
4 Green

To follow this logic with the big end/crank pin chart:

Big End: 55
Crank Pin: 21

Therefore:

5-2=3 Brown
5-1=4 Green

I think I have this right now. Let me know if I don't.

that's what the manual is saying. I would go for the black/brown as its the 2nd/3rd thickest as the yam service manual is saying they should all be the same.

There will be wear to compensate for too

that's what the manual is saying. I would go for the black/brown as its the 2nd/3rd thickest as the yam service manual is saying they should all be the same.

There will be wear to compensate for too

I also am replacing my mains and conrod bearings on my xs250 se and find the table quite confusing. It appears that 3 1 relates to a blue bearing and that 4 2 relates to black. The table from Drewpy simplifies this but I need to ask how you have interpreted this Drewpy? These bearings are not cheap and I need to make sure I order the right ones.

Any clarification appreciated.

Best wishes to all.

Lester

Back