New bike doesn't run, how much should I pay for repairs?

jwin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a 1981 XS400 with 6000km on it. Previous owner was an older gentleman who bought it for his son, son didn't use it and it sat in a garage for 2 years. Cosmetically the bike is in decent condition except for rust on the frame, a few bolts and the bottom of the exhaust. The tank inside and out is in great condition, so are the tires, shocks and brakes, at least as far as I could tell. I didn't get to ride it as it didn't start (likely gunked up carbs), so I got it for a very cheap price.

I'm having it towed to a shop and I'm wondering how much I should expect to pay for repairs. I want the carbs rebuilt and all fluids changed as a start. What else should I get done on it? The previous owner didn't do any work on it himself, and isn't sure what was done before him. My mechanical abilities/tools are pretty limited so I'd like to get the big work done by a pro.

Thanks!

Wide open there, if previous owner by admission never worked on it or drove it then engine could even be blown up and you get stuck with it...........didn't start means it may have been turning but who bought the battery to get that done?

Back