New Here

dupras2453

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been roaming around the site now for about a week since I bought my bike and I thought I would introduce myself. This is my first motorcycle but I think I am starting off with a good foundation. I picked the bike up from a guy down the road from me that never registered it, he said he bought it off of the original owner who was an older man and did not ride it any more. It is an 82 xs400 heritage special that is in remarkably good condition. It only has 4000 miles on it, the tires are almost new, both cylinders cold have 150psi, and I pulled the carbs and checked all through them and they almost appear new on the inside. The only thing I replaced on it were the carb holders that were starting to crack but were still air tight. I paid 700 bucks for it would I thought was a fair price considering the condition. The only thing I am considering replacing are the handlebars, they feel a little awkward to me and I think I would like to go a little lower and less back sweep. I would appreciate any thoughts, I am 5'10" with an average build. I am looking forward to be a part of this forum.

Here she is:
p4pb6912712.jpg

That is a very nice bike. I paid about the same for mine and it needs a little tlc. But I definately like it! Paint looks great on yours!

Beautiful bike! Welcome to the forum. You got a very nice bike for a very reasonable price. It's easy to drop several hundred dollars just on odds-n-ends to restore a bike and it looks like you won't have to do that.

I just installed bars like yours because I don't like to lean forward. Had the slightly lower Sport bars on mine. Each person has different preferences and needs when it comes to bars.

Wlecome, That looks like a nice clean bike. :thumbsup: You will find that there are not many questions that cannot be answered here.

I also have an 82 Heritage Special and it sounds like you are about the same size as me. When I got my bike it felt a little awkward as well but the stock bars were adjusted rather high. I loosened them off and dropped them to where I felt comfortable and they have been that way ever since. Try that first before you go out and get different ones and go through all the trouble of changing them.

BTW - Sounds like that bike may have been sitting for a while. For your own safety try to confirm those tires really are relatively new and not in fact old ones that still have lots of tread.

Yeah I checked the tires before I bought it to make sure there was no dry rot or cracking and they appear to be fine. A tire blowing out would be the last thing I needed.

Back