New Member, 78 xs400e refurb

Eero W

78 rat project
Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I just recently received a 78 xs400e from a friend. HE had it running before he parked it and forgot about it. He is more of a Honda nut so I got his old yammy.

I have not started working on it, and I thought I would jump on here to see if there was any foreseeable issues I will come across, based on your experiences.

I know I have to replace the forks, as the stanchions are pitted with rust, and of course tires and a battery. It turns over and shifts fine, I may try a compression test soon.

So to save my lazy butt from diggin around here, what's the ideal valve clearances, timing degrees, compression values, and any other tuning specifics?

It's got a little bit of surface rust, but everything does down here in the South East.

The carbs are of the greatest concern to me, as I have never dealt with a diaphragm style carb, and those parts look pricey. I would almost prefer to swap them out to some newer Mikunis, Dellortos, OKO's or whatever is easy to mount up and tune. I will definitely be asking some questions about the carbs!!

Here she is!

2013-03-21%252013.45.24.jpg

welcome to the forum, maybe some others can give you the specs you crave if your too lazy to search!

good score though :D

Back