new xs400 build!!!

xs40081

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I just picked up a 81 xs400 not sure if its a special or what model? but any way got it for only $250 bucks, lady said it last ran around 2004, and just parked, they replaced the motor for the kickstart I believe she said (explains the older style carbs) I plan on doing frame off build I will be posting pictures when I can, im going with a café style but street tracker style seat just a nice stance street cruiser!

only question I have so far is how the tank gas cap mounts I got it apart I think im missing a screw? I will post pics of it tomorrow.

looks like all it needs to run is diaphragms carb rebuild and battery.

carbs off bike

Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of work on your hands there. The gas cap is held on by a screw and then latches in the front when down.

Attachments

• DSC02757.jpg
    DSC02757.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 178
ok thanks looks like I just need the screw then, and yes bike needs some tlc but im already halfway through its stripped down to frame now waiting for powdercoat will post more pics today

cleaned the outside of carbs up and painted the carb bodys and polished the bowls and tops, just have to get diaphragms and rebuild them! will post pics tomrow of the motor I just got done painting I have to finish polishing the cases!

URL=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/foxmoto12/media/carb2_zpsdbe77477.jpg.html]
carb2_zpsdbe77477.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A pair of NOS diaphragms may well cost more than the bike did.

The carbs look great. Did you clean the interior of the carbs before painting the exterior?

Have you been able to ascertain the condition of the interior of the engine? With all that oxidation on the outside I have to wonder what the condition is inside.

the inside wasn't too bad just a bunch of old gas I cleaned everything out, the oxidation is from the boots were off and just sitting in the weather, and yeah I seen the NOS diaphragms, I found a set for I think about 100 for the pair, ihave not took the engine apart from looking into the ports it looks pretty clean

You should have waited on the paint:wink2: When you clean the carbs that paint will be a mess. I would COMPLETELY disassemble them and either soda blast all the metal bits or ultra sonic wash them. New diaphragms can be found at mikesxs.net. just make sure you get the ones for a 77-79 xs400 carbs because they are the ones you have.

yeah your right I should've waited but I got impatient lol, the insides are fairly clean I already cleaned most of them and parts with carb cleaner,

got some more work done last night, figured I put some pics up of the frame and engine, frame came out good for 7 bucks now just trying to figure the wire harness out looks like more then there was when I took it off lol! will post pics tomorrow with the wheels and everything else on!

Make sure you clean all the grounding points when you put it back together.

yes I will be sure to clean the ground points im working on the wire harness today, already forget where some of the stuff goes in the rear there so many wires seem like it just hangs out there behind the batt box lol, but I will figure it out will post pics in a little of some more progress!

Looks good. But your swing arm bolt is in backwards. The nut should be on the right side of the bike:)

Attachments

• DSC02760.jpg
    DSC02760.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC02761.jpg
    DSC02761.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 160
thanks I was just going to ask that question because I couldn't figure the washer peaice out lol, thanks for the help! another thing is there suppose to be any spacers in the bottom rear motor mount bolt?

On the 81 and 82 sohc xs400 they use rubber bushings for the rear mounting bolt. Here is a pic from the manual. You may want to look at a parts diagram on the yamaha web site for a better breakdown.

Attachments

• DSC02762.jpg
    DSC02762.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 187
Partzilla also has itemized parts lists based on the original Yamaha exploded part diagrams and I've found it helpful for cross-referencing.

Back