New XS400 owner from CT

Garlic_Sauce

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys? Recently acquired a 1978 XS400, friend of mine sold it to me at a "good old friend price". Bike has 17,xxx original miles and had been sitting in a shed for 15 years, it's in great shape. Bike is totally stock as far as I can tell. This isn't my first bike, I've had and sold a 2001 Buell BLAST and a 1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot both bikes I fixed up and built with a cafe style. This bike will be a cafe build as well, I always wanted an older Japanese small cc bike to cafe. While my friend had it he replaced the tires, fuel lines and battery it has cracks in the carb boots and the petcock needs to be re-built. I have the parts ordered to fix both issues. I also have clip-ons and new headlight brackets coming. I have started to tear her down to clean and replace electrical or any other components with new modern parts. I eventually plan to go to disc brakes at least in the front if I can find a set of wire wheels to swap. Anyways here's some pics:

photo-38.jpg

photo-40.jpg

photo-41.jpg

202-Copy.jpg

201-Copy.jpg

192-Copy.jpg

219.jpg

218.jpg

So far the build plan looks like this:
Replace fuse box with something modern
Do the top end gaskets
Clip ons
Cafe seat
Hide all electrical components and wiring
Custom gauge clusters
Tarozzi or Loaded gun universal rearsets with DIY brackets
Bar-end mirrors
new cables
4 cell battery
The plan is to build the bike to be as lean and clean as possible.

welcome to the site.

As far as wires with disks, they are very rare and fitted to UK and some european bikes. You may get some RD ones to fit, but the RD boys like them too.

The drums look great on a cafe anyway!

Back