Newbie here w question, XS 400 just dies

drummertom

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
HI Guys, New to this forum and this bike, but Hey, it is a motorcycle and I ani't new to them. I am trying to help a college kid with his 82 XS400. Runs great sitting still, but riding, it will just die. Battery is good because the lights, etc are still on. It died on me last night, and I pulled over, cranked on the starter a while, and it eventually started right back up. I had only ridden maybe a mile or so. Took it back to the guys house, and started tinkering, but ran out of time and needed more tools. I am gonna try to go back tonight with more tools, but I would like to have a heads up if I can as to where to start looking. It quits suddenly, no sputter or anything, so to me it points to electrical, and not fuel. Anyone ran into this? Thanx guys in advance for the help.:thumbsup:

Mine stranded me for an hour two weeks ago with the same issue. It ended up that the clip for the ignition fuse was broken, but it had stayed in place and would usually make contact. Your problem definitely sounds electrical. If it's not an issue in the fuse box, start tracing wires. Do other lights stay on when it dies? If everything goes out, then it could be the main fuse or nearby wires.

Back