Newbie with a vibration issue?

Trust me its not that I don't want to do it or that i'm too scared to do a little engine work. School is starting back up for me and this tinkering would be too great of a distraction from my school work so I have no choice but to put it on hold until a winter/spring/summer break. Maybe i'll do something I told myself I'd never do and take my bike to a mechanic:laugh: (assuming I can find the $:banghead:)

School is starting back up for me and this tinkering would be too great of a distraction from my school work
Tell me about, I have to get my first week of homework done for tomorrow morning class. Till the snow flies we have the one car, and this bike. So I have to make it work till then.

so I have no choice but to put it on hold until a winter/spring/summer break. Maybe i'll do something I told myself I'd never do and take my bike to a mechanic (assuming I can find the $)
The guys at my local shops avoid bikes like ours. The only want to work on it if it less than 20 years old, and or they will give you advice, which is sometimes helpful. Good luck

I took it to a local motorcycle shop and the guy gave it a quick check/test and said that there is nothing wrong. I told him the whole story even talked about this thread. He said it sounds great, looks great and that's just how these bikes are. Sorry guys I guess im just really not used to ridin these old twins.:doh::doh::doh:

try to hold the bars a bit less firmly then, that'll decrease hand numbing. Just hold it the way you hold a butterfly: firmly so it doesn't fly off, but loose so you don't crush it

I took it to a local motorcycle shop and the guy gave it a quick check/test and said that there is nothing wrong. I told him the whole story even talked about this thread. He said it sounds great, looks great and that's just how these bikes are. Sorry guys I guess im just really not used to ridin these old twins.:doh::doh::doh:
That doesn't sound right. A bit of a 5,000 - 8,000 "buzz" is understandable but you described a vibration (it's not secretly an xs650 is it?). Unless you are prone to hyperbole (your friends and family will know).

I would try and ride a couple of other ones. If they are the same then the mechanic must be right. If they are not, then he was just trying to get rid of you and your bike.
Let us know if you get in a couple of road tests.

@arfstrom I know what you mean both my parents have plantar fasciatis and they are always in such terrible pain so I hope you feel better.
@willem thanks for the tip:)
@Lou Ranger Yeh I also feel kind of like he also was trying to get rid of me. I guess ill have to make more vintage bike friends but for now ill ride on:bike:

Back