Noise on attempted start, then nothing

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I had finished all of the valve adjustments I had the carbs bench adjusted, I filled it with fresh oil and attempted to start my 1980 G. It crank over a few times and the battery went dead from sitting. I recharged the battery and attempted to start. The motor cranked over a few times, then made a rattling noise and wouldn't turn over after that. Pushing the starter switch would activate the solenoid but not turn over the bike. I attempted to kick the bike over and it would not let me kick through, very much like when you have the kick starter installed it properly. I know that is not the case as I have kicked it through several times. I recently had the starter clutch out and cleaned that up and it was working fine to crank. My initial reaction is to check there first, to make sure everything was reinstalled properly. Any thoughts are welcome.

I would look at the e-start setup like you said. Something might have bound up. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

I would look at the e-start setup like you said. Something might have bound up. Hopefully it's a simple fix.
Yeah, I thought that was a good starting point, of course I just filled it with oil. Thankfully, freshened engine not run yet I should be able to save it. I also had to fix another petcock, ordered a replacement from Mikesxs for this one. I have one waiting to get brackets for the seat welded,one with the carbs apart for cleaning and adjust and now one that did the starter thing. I know it is always something with old bikes...didn't think it would be at the same time! What is the saying, " a work in progress"?

Back