Oil Change Time?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So, I've got this great app on my phone that keeps track of my mileage, informing me of when it's time to change my oil.

Additionally, it has a feature which keeps track of how long it's been (time wise) and suggests the same.

If I've NOT used up the number of miles that would suggest it's time for an oil change, is there a given amount of TIME that would suggest it's time to do so?

Right now it's set to three months. I'm receiving alarms about it in regards to time that's past.

it wont hurt to change the oil more regularly than needed (I used to change the oil on my Husqvarna every 1000-1500miles) Most bike service intervals are a set mileage or annually so change it once a year should be ok if you not doin the miles.

The most you should ever go with an XS400 is 2000 miles, but I change sooner than that. Air-cooled (and old) engines break down oil a lot faster than modern, water cooled engines do.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with 3 months, but 4 or 5 (a riding season some places) is fine.

Back