Ok another stupid carb ?

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Forgive me Sorry to start another thread on carbs without having to read a couple of hundred threads on fuel mixture adjustment.
I have a couple of quick ?`s.
Where the float bowls are theres a ruber plug and a adjustment screw.Im ass uming this is fuel mixture screw and if so how many turns should it be set at?

Nope. That is the pilot jet. Take it out and you should find it is a penis shaped jet. Make sure to replace the rubber plugs with new ones. You don't want your rubber leaking or falling out... :)

Dave

Nope. That is the pilot jet. Take it out and you should find it is a penis shaped jet. Make sure to replace the rubber plugs with new ones. You don't want your rubber leaking or falling out... :)

Dave

Ok then what are the 2 jets ontop of the carbs?Better yet if somebody could give me a link to the caburator spread sheet I can stop asking stupid questions :laugh:Thanks for tolerating me.

vergasersystem.jpg

yellow mix screw
purple mains
green pilot system
orange fuel enrichment

The externally adjustable screws on the top of the carbs (directly above the throttle shafts) are the pilot screws. These are what you use to fine tune the idle mixture.

Dave

Ok guys I have another question concerning my carbs,where the air mix jets are on top of the carbs underneith the spring where the needle goes down into its seat if there supposed to be a tiny rubber oring?If so where can get them?

Mikesxs.net has them:)

I was looking on there dont know if I overlooked it but I didnt see them on there.:shrug:
I see not only am missing the orings but I missing one of the small washers also.That probaly happened early fall when I took them off outside.:doh:
frwinks thankyou for this valuable info about the carbs.

Last edited:
That kit should work.

FYI: I found a kit of assorted o-rings at a local parts store for $6 that has a broad size assortment of sizes from 3/32 x 15/64" up to 3/4 x 1". It has already paid for itself after using 5 o-rings. Might be worth looking for something similar.

Also, be sure to use a bright light and magnifying glass to see if the washers and o-rings are not stuck in the bottom of the pilot screw hole. I had to use a dental pick to remove mine as they were stuck real well.

Dave

That kit should work.

FYI: I found a kit of assorted o-rings at a local parts store for $6 that has a broad size assortment of sizes from 3/32 x 15/64" up to 3/4 x 1". It has already paid for itself after using 5 o-rings. Might be worth looking for something similar.

Also, be sure to use a bright light and magnifying glass to see if the washers and o-rings are not stuck in the bottom of the pilot screw hole. I had to use a dental pick to remove mine as they were stuck real well.

Dave

I thought about that idea but I need the little washers also and I have already double checked to make sure they arent in the those holse the jets go into.IF I can get away without the flat washers:shrug: then the oring kit at the autoparts store may work.

DAVE I OWE YOU A BIG THANKYOU! I doubled checked sure enough the little oring was right where you said it would be.So I found another flatwasher the same size of the other one.Everything is in place and good to go:thumbsup:Stupid carb question closed:laugh:

Us dummies or not so dumb maybe rookies is a better word for it should be so blessed to have people around on this forum to help us.
As for the reoccuring dumb questions I know it happens on other forums so we here are not alone.
Theres a Blazer forum Im on also it boggles my mind on how manytimes people ask the same reoccuring ?`s Even though there are rules that prohibit it and it totaly annoys the crap out of me.If people would just read the forums they can answer most of their questions.

Back