petcock and carbs?

slmon92

82 heritage special
Reaction score
hey everyone
so ive been working on getting my 82 heritage running. turns over, starter seems weak but have a spark. i took the tank off ane replaced the petcock because the p/o told me it wasnt working. the vaccum had been dissabled already, and due to my lack of knowledge i just capped the new (new to me as i baught it at a scrappers) petcock aswell. the only thing is it only works on prime. the "reserve" and the "on" positions are more like "OFF" positions. other than not having a reserve tank, is this problem? is it the reason the bike wont fire? scared of taking the carbs apart to clean but if thats the issue, which by reading some other threads im starting to think it may be..any imput and opinions are appreciated
thanks

It needs to be hooked up the intake manifold vacuum barb and the bike running for it to work in the on and reserve positions. If you have spark and good compression use the prime to fill the carbs with gas and it should run. Make sure the battery has 12.5 volts and the carbs are clean(inside) and adjusted proper. There are lots of threads on how to clean and adjust the carbs.

It only works on prime because you capped the vacuum. In the ON and RESERVE position, it needs vacuum to open the valve and flow fuel. The PRIME position flows fuel no matter what

Back