pod filters ..whats the best way to fit?

redratbike

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys as i'm buying bits in to start the project proper, i noticed people either fit the pod filters direct to the carbs or fit them on the end of plastic air tubes below

so whats best?

does direct to the carb upset the running more or make it more difficult to jet correctly as i like this better as its a cleaner look
1dfd_12.JPG

Mark, don't buy any pods yet I've got some brand new ones kicking around somewhere you can have.

That hasn't answered your questions though....sorry!

Will having the tubes from the air filters + pods not get in the way of the mono-shock (if you go with that idea)?

yep thats what i was thinking ..although if i stick with twin rear shocks fitting pods direct to the carbs would leave a lovely big gap in the frame

by the way got my forks,yokes,spindle,caliper,wheel bearings..just waiting on the taper found a guy on ebay he'll make up a braided hose for £13

ok guys as i'm buying bits in to start the project proper, i noticed people either fit the pod filters direct to the carbs or fit them on the end of plastic air tubes below

so whats best?

does direct to the carb upset the running more or make it more difficult to jet correctly as i like this better as its a cleaner look
1dfd_12.JPG
My dt400 dirt bike has the pod directly on the carb,and runs well.However,that doesn't mean that yours will.I would try to arrange the pods like Drewpy suggested,on the rubber boots.That would probably give better filtration and flow,as there is a connecting tube between them.....lha

My dt400 dirt bike has the pod directly on the carb,and runs well.However,that doesn't mean that yours will.I would try to arrange the pods like Drewpy suggested,on the rubber boots.That would probably give better filtration and flow,as there is a connecting tube between them.....lha

maybe the tubes could be trimmed a little in length..mmmnn

I'm still going to go with a 2-1 with the Keihin carb and they don't fit. They aren't K&N or anything, give 'em a go and see what you think (Not back in London till Monday though).

away again..must be good being single:D:D

the guy in Luton has 2 x 400 engines for me and loads of other stuff (including 2 sets of wheels ) so def. going for a 400 engine now..might save the monoshock idea for the next one

putting pods directly on the carbs upsets the diaphrams. they needs clear air flow and pods can partly obstruct them.

By all means directly mount them, makes my bike more unique:D

thinking outside the box, could the bridging bit be made into an airfilter and cut/block off the original inlets?

just a thought

I just put pods on mine a few days ago. Our motorcycle mechanic told me to mount them directly to the carbs but mine were too small so I ended up having to put them on the intake boots (which sounds like it was for the better from what drewpy said :-D). Plus, then you can still use the original breather tube and not have to buy a crank breather.

im installing them with the boots leave it looks stoc loking and maybe help swirl the air into the carbs hope for a velostiy stack effet.. but i mught blugh the croos tube thing..

I just fitted a set of 52 mm XS Performance Pod Filter from http://www.mikesxs.net/products-40.html#products in the stock location on a 1982 heritage special. with 2 pieces of 2 1/4" PVC I just shaved the end for the intake "H" pipe with a sander and sqeezed the Pods with the clamp. They fit pretty well and still fit under the side covers.

thinking outside the box, could the bridging bit be made into an airfilter and cut/block off the original inlets?

just a thought

mmm.. i may replace the ugly black tubes and dipense with the link to the breather and fit a seperate filter

Back