Kutay

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am working on ym XS400 just like a lot people here. I already rebuilt the mechanical parts twice, it was a dead bike and I am trying to revive it. It is now running, whoop whoop. I am stuck on a small maybe funny problem. I cant get the rubber parts that connect the carburetor to the air filter boxes. The external diameter of the rubber piece seems to the external diameter of the carbs. Being old rubber is is also not very strechy. I am wondering if you have any tips, maybe replacement online. I know there are old ones being sold, I am worried it will be hard rubber as well. Are there different diameter intake rubbers that look the same? would you recommend 3D printing a conversion cylinder? Any advice is welcome. Attached is the intake rubber. I took the image from online, it is the same part i am referring to.
img_20230627_163744_1687954790271.jpg

I've had good luck by carefully heating the rubber/plastic with a heat gun, generally spreading the heat around to soften the material. Don't push it, just enough heat to soften it so it can be slipped over the carb inlets and so on.

I've had good luck by carefully heating the rubber/plastic with a heat gun, generally spreading the heat around to soften the material. Don't push it, just enough heat to soften it so it can be slipped over the carb inlets and so on.
So not too much pressure. Aim is to get it to be pliable and soft?

Yes- soft enough to be flexible but not enough to start it bubbling or charring. Basically not much more than hot to the touch.. don't use a torch it puts in too much heat; a paint stripping heat gun gives a jet of hot air that you can control much better.

I found rubber bits used for car carburetors. They go from 55mm inner diameter to 45mm. The external diameter of the filters is 46mm. I think 1mm strecht with bew rubber should be possible. There was no luck woth the crusty hardened rubbers i already had.

The rubber connectors were too short. I will extend it a little bit with a 3rd printer adapter. I also need to pull them down because of my electronics tray

Back