Question for the gurus out there.

seniorsalazar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the stock rear drum off a xs400 is the same size off a xs650. Im gonna be running a 21 up front with stock brake drum, and in the rear I'm gonna run the stock 18 inch front rim laced to my stock rear drum. Just wondering if I can get spokes for a xs650 rear rim and use to Lace up my drum and rim. Any help would help also of anyone knows a shop and I am willing to ship, that can lace my front drum to a 21 inch rim thanks guys.

if your rear rim is 18", then the xs360 spokes will fit your drum braked rear.

peeps have laced up a 21" to the hub, but I think they got spokes specially made.

BTW you don't cut the thread on spokes, they are rolled in for strength!

In the US don't Buchanan's sell spokes and lace up wheels. I've heard them mentioned on other forums...good but potentially a little pricey maybe from memory (which isn't great :D).

Yup, Buchanan's is the place, and they are pricey, but they can lace just about any hub to any wheel, provided the number of holes is the same of course. I'd def recommend springing for stainless too if you can afford it, they will last MUCH longer than chrome.

The stock rear drum on the XS400 is smaller than the stock rear drum on the XS650. The flange diameter is smaller too so trying to use an 18" rim on the XS400 drum using spokes for the XS650 won't work because the spokes will be too short. Your best bet for the rear is to find and 18" rear XS400 wheel.

Hola SeniorSalazar!

Hey I'm looking at doing something similar to you - using a 21" in front and possibly a 17" in rear both laced to stock Special II hubs.

I've got a local one-old-man shop that quoted me $75/wheel to lace and true. Where ya at? This is in OK.

Back