Quick Intro, and usual Carb issues...

When all else fails - go back to the basics !

I got the carbs cleaned out and back together. Using the $3.99 O-Ring kit from HF:
http://www.harborfreight.com/225-piece-metric-nitrile-o-ring-assortment-67609.html

I used the 4mm one - it was just slightly larger diameter than the washer that sits at the bottom of the pilot needle spring. Its P/N F0443:
IMG_00325.jpg

You can see that it neatly seats in the bottom:
IMG_00323.jpg

Everything assembled, I replaced the vac line to the petcock, and gave it a go. Bike started and rev'd in full enrichment, so I backed it down to 1/2. Still rev'd high, so I closed enrichment. Bike stumbled slightly, then came back up to 3k rev. WTF.
I got carb cleaner and sprayed down all the joints/boots/lines looking for a vac leak - notta. I then backed off the idle speed screw - lo and behold it came down to a nice even idle. Took it for a 5mi ride - and its all good. Guess the PO tried all kinda tricks to get it to idle....

The plugs look great ! Success ! Tomorrow I'll go through and adjust the valves, change the oil (not sure how much gas got in there...) and filter. I also purchased new exhaust gaskets, as Im planning on removing the pipes for a good polish.

One thing I cannot find that I need: Tach cable. I got one through Dennis Kirk, and its no where near correct. Any suggestions ?

Thanks !
Steve

Back