Right Side Issues, Carbs?

if the condenser is bad you will see sparking across the points when they open. that will prevent your bike from starting.

has the valves been recently been ground, sometimes the bike needs to run to bed them in (bump starting)

battery fully charged?

The points DO spark when they open; always have as far as I can remember anyway.

I did lap the valves as well, but I spent a few hours trying to bump start the bike without any luck when I got tired of kicking it over. This was Friday afternoon.

I've been running the bike on a car battery; my tiny one doesn't last long for diagnostics, especially in the cold. It's a known good battery; I have leads going from my car to the bike just like a jump start.

She runs! I took her out and she rides beautifully! I think it was a combination of the condenser and the carbs being out of tune for idle.

I painted the frame with very thick truck bed liner. I am assuming the condenser needed to ground against the frame with the supplied bolt. I simply cleaned the contacts and sanded the liner off the frame where it touches and viola!

thank god for that! :bike:

did you replace the condensor as sparking across the points will render them useless in a few miles due to arc erosion.

I did not replace the condenser; I will double-check and see if the points are still arching; if they are I will order a new one and new points.

Where is the best place to get a condenser? bikebandit wanted 60 bucks for one! Mikesxs has one for the 650, but I read somewhere that condensers can be too large or too small and they do not list it as 400 compatible.

Recent changes? Yes, complete disassembly and concurrent reconstruction :)

If the points are arching how long would it take for them to become destroyed? Drewpy, you said a "few" miles; I just took the bike out for 30+ miles today without issue.

When looking for arching at the points does it make a difference whether or not plugs are installed and connected?

plugs should be installed and the engine running with the points cover off. Then you should be seeing no arcing.

they will be wearing down, usually in the centre of the contacts.

sooo just to clarify...there should be no 'sparks' between points gap? ....and if there is, is it the condensers or bad contact breaker points?...or both?

Test the bike by running it with the points cover off in low light; if it's sparking like the video above your condenser is bad. The sparking erodes the point contacts rapidly. The points might be salvageable, but for reliability I would recommend replacing them if they show signs of pitting (you can open them with your fingers when the bike is off). A bad condenser doesn't mean bad points if you get lucky and catch it right away; realistically you won't notice until some damage has been done.

I just snagged this package deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/33071062492...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

It may also be possible to have a dirty or broken connection somewhere along the way to the condenser. I am also thinking the condenser must be grounded to the frame; neither of the leads coming out of the condenser are grounds, so the body must be grounding via the bolt.

My condensor is new for the sake of new The bike had nearly 15K on it. Contact points also brand new 50 miles ago and have always noticed the occasional arcing. Does that mean possibly the gapping is set too wide???
Soon I will also check for any pitting and then also to make sure they make completely flat contact.

Thanks bc fer the link(received my points/condensers in the mail today) and drewpy fer the video,this was helpful:thumbsup:.
My bike has been misfiring since the beginning and hard to start at times,makes sense the condenser was bad. Checked for arcing as in the video and sure enough there was consistent arcing on both points with occasional 'brighter flash' on the left-side points.The points faces were pitted and there was a slight 'sooty' discoloration in there too.Thanks :cheers:

Back