Robin's East Coast Run :D

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
On Friday morning I begin a journey. The goal: to visit my ailing father and build a fond memory doing so. He's in Sarasota. Here's my plan ...

Chicago to Columbus ... visit my sister
Columbus to D.C. ... visit my brother
D.C. to Asheville ... visit my mother
Asheville to ??? ... maybe I'll camp
??? to Sarasota ... visit my dad
Sarasota to ??? ... maybe I'll camp
??? to Paoli (IN) ... visit my cousin
Paoli back home ... back to my wife :D

Wish me luck, folks. If you have any advice on routes, I'm definitely open. My preference is for backroads without adding too much travel time. Hopefully I won't run into any major trouble.

I'll post as things develop.

On Friday morning I begin a journey. The goal: to visit my ailing father and build a fond memory doing so. He's in Sarasota. Here's my plan ...

Chicago to Columbus ... visit my sister
Columbus to D.C. ... visit my brother
D.C. to Asheville ... visit my mother
Asheville to ??? ... maybe I'll camp
??? to Sarasota ... visit my dad
Sarasota to ??? ... maybe I'll camp
??? to Paoli (IN) ... visit my cousin
Paoli back home ... back to my wife :D
?? to Uk ... visit Drewps :bike:

Wish me luck, folks. If you have any advice on routes, I'm definitely open. My preference is for backroads without adding too much travel time. Hopefully I won't run into any major trouble.

I'll post as things develop.

... Asheville to ??? ... maybe I'll camp... If you have any advice on routes, I'm definitely open...
Asheville is only 88 miles and under 2 hours from Dollywood. Well worth it if only to see Craftsman Valley and the Bald Eagle sanctuary (and so you can say that you actually have been there).

Then you could go to Gatlinburgh and area (highly recommended) then on through Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Athens. You could take a second route through the Park if don't mind if Atlanta ends up on your trip.

I should have posted a while ago.

The trip is over and done. 1/2 way to my first destination (Columbus, where I grew up), I received a phone call saying my father had passed. Visiting him one last time was the entire purpose of the trip, so I decided to stop by places there that he and I shared father and son moments before returning to Chicago.

It's a miracle in many ways. I got to see him 3 weeks ago. We watched Steve Martin's "The Jerk" and "The Big Lebowski". I also got to talk to him a week or so after that and the very last thing I heard out of his voice was Morphine induced giggles and laughter.

In the end, I'm lucky.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss and that you didn't get a chance for that last visit. Hopefully, your visit 3 weeks ago gave you the chance to say everything you wanted to say, and some good last memories of your Dad to carry with you.

Last edited:
Back