Seca Tank Leak Repair - Your Favorite Technique?

kirkn

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Woke up Sunday morning to the smell of gasoline in the house!

Checked out the 5 bikes in the garage - yep, the Seca 400 tank was weeping from "the usual" spot - one of the low points on the right side. Sigh. Just enough to wet the cylinder & head fins and oooze down the front of the cases. Pretty much evaporated before any drips even hit the ground. But sure stunk up the place!

Here's my favorite repair for these kind of pinholes.

I came across this stuff at a cheapie auto parts store about 10 years ago and thought - hey, that looks like it might be neat stuff. Since then, I've used it 3 or 4 times on various car, bike, even an old outboard motor tank.

Kind like two part epoxy. Pinch off a bit of each, knead 'em together, then stick it onto the tank. On the car, I didn't even drain it, just like the instructions say you can do. Stuff works great! Looks kinda cobby, though. Fortunately, it doesn't show on the underside of the tank.

Two hours after doing the work, I filled the tank back up. No leaks all day, nor overnight. Rode in to work this morning, and all is good! :)

What's YOUR favorite technique?

Kirk

Copyof008-1.jpg

Copyof009.jpg

Copyof011.jpg

Why do these tanks (dohc models) seem to leak? Thinner metal or rubbing on something.

Why do these tanks (dohc models) seem to leak? Thinner metal or rubbing on something.

all fuel has some water in it. the water is heavy so settles at the lowest spot. If there is no pet cock there for the fuel/water to drain out, the water just sits and rusts the tank

That is why its a good idea to drain your tank for long storage times.:wink2:

Not sure if that would help if has been sitting for 20 years:laugh: A lot of times people don't think ahead:(

Back