Some days i wish my work would block this site

LOL. Same here. This site and Craigslist. I keep torturing myself looking at the motorcycle listings, finding running XS400's for what I've got invested in my non-running Maxim purchased two summers ago. The wife says I can't buy another bike till I get this one finished. By that time the supply of XS's will either dry up, triple in price, or both.

oh how productive I would be. maybe I should ask the IT guy to block it for me... lol

this site, the dutch craigslist-like sites, the dutch bike forum and ebay. I keep drooling over the listed honda GL1000's (that naked goldwing, what a beast), a nice KTM lc 640 and some awesome old triumphs

I'm lucky (or unlucky), I can't check the site until I'm on break. Hard to cook while browsing ;-) but when I'm home, that's a different story...

well work is going to be hell today with that fire on the Boardwalk in NJ yesterday....

Cafe'ed out '76 GL1000... to dream...:D

Attachments

• honda-gold-wing-cafe-racer.jpg
    honda-gold-wing-cafe-racer.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 302
:cool:uhhh tank straps are sweeet. also i love the look of the rust and patina on the tank..

if the paint on my tank wasnt in such good shape i would strip it to bare metal... its a cool look imho.

Ughh! I DESPISE the "rat" look. It may be the fastest bike on the block, but it still looks like a POS.

Reminds me of the rusted out wrecks of cars and trucks that used to be seen on the roads around here. Or of the "farm boy" hot rods - where they spent all their money on the engine and now think they have a fast car or truck. With no brakes, rusted out fenders, and bald tires...

Trying to make a bike, or anything else for that matter, look like crap is beyond my comprehension. But some people think torn jeans are fashionable and pay extra for them, so what do I know... :shrug:

To each his own, I guess. But what I love about the 'rat' look is the rawness of it. In my opinion motorcycles are things to be ridden, not polished. I totally agree the bike should be 100% mechanically sound, have good brakes decent tires and everything. But I just don't understand the obsession with high shine paint jobs, chrome and polishing the bike every weekend, taking the car if it rains to preserve the bike, not riding in winter cause of the salt on the road, and all of that coddling. It's a machine, it has character nonetheless, but it sure shouldn't be a Paris Hilton having to get a mani pedi every weekend, right?

I don't disagree with you Willem, and my bike certainly isn't pretty. I ride in any weather that is reasonably safe, and wash my bike only when it looks like crap. I wax it to protect the paint and chrome from further decay. And doing so is a good chance to look at the bike closely. It is certainly no show queen. But I also haven't TRIED to make it look like a decrepit, rusted out, bike that was found in a farmers field.

Now those Harley guys are a different story. I swear that for them waxing and polishing is a form of masturbation...

Now those Harley guys are a different story ...
lol

And all this time, I thought I enjoyed looking at Harleys because of their classic lines and over-the-top ostentatious adornments (like I love to look at late 50s classic cars).

You mean to tell me it's actually penis-envy?

lol

And all this time, I thought I enjoyed looking at Harleys because of their classic lines and over-the-top ostentatious adornments (like I love to look at late 50s classic cars).

You mean to tell me it's actually penis-envy?

Apparently everything is :laugh:

I'm with Willem on the subject of the Rat-Rod look. I'm emotionally attracted to anything with an industrial, apocalyptic look and those puppies fit the bill! Nothing wrong with a super sexy paint job and chrome out the ying-yang but when nature can take over with the decorations you get a great visual AND tactile experience (ie. rust feels funny :laugh:)

Also yes with regards to the blocking thing. I'm supposed to do homework, then I get so excited reading peoples build threads that I end up browsing the internet for parts and inspiration for hours on end, bedtime rolls around, no homework done!!

Back