Sorry newb question. What is a cafe racer?

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So Just got my first bike and I see alot of people talking about making a cafe racer. So i've gotta ask the question. What is a cafe racer and how is it different from stock.

Bent over, clip on bars or clubman bars, single seat, usually rear sets for the pegs. Originally from England, Google it and read the history as it is colorful. The small image is from a friend of mine, Carpy pretty much owns the CB750 Cafe scene. the other is mine, it's getting close but no rear sets ....yet.

check out www.cb750cafe.com I know it isn't XS400 but it is good for inspiration and he won the Grand National show with that bike!!!

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!g8E3vnn43mDBN87ii8zTw~~_12[1].jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!g8E3vnn43mDBN87ii8zTw~~_12[1].jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 186
  • carpy 2.jpg
    carpy 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 163
Basically,it's a bike that's changed from it's original form to make it better for short runs at full speed and it's become a well supplied form as companies have seen a need for custom parts and accessories.Almost any bike can be customized for Cafe style,moderately or full blown custom and pricey!...lha

sorry Hmusket, thats a case of re-imagining the cafe society, this is a Piss take not definitive! :bike:

You're right, Drewpy, its not a definitive history of cafe racers or society. I should have put quotes around the word definitive, and a little smiley face at the end of the sentence. I know it doesn't present an accurate history of cafe bikes and racing. The reason I threw it in there is because its a great satire on the shallowness of our commercial culture, which takes something that's fresh and unique and exploits and bastardizes it just to make a buck. It also says to me people don't look beyond what they can see, to delve a little deeper to get more information and knowledge, but just accept what they hear at face value. With all the information we have at our fingertips today, there's no excuse for that. I'm believe that's what the author of the animation had in mind when he made it.

For the original poster, just google cafe racer, about 5,810,000 results.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I always thought that Cafe' bikes started with Triumphs, Nortons, BSAs, etc. which were modified for street racing. Commons mods were removing whatever wasn't needed and stripping it down. They were raced from cafe' to cafe' in the UK. Japanese bikes were late to the party, but make nice cafe' style bikes. As indicated earlier, the style today seems to be typified by lower bars (usually negative rise, but sometimes a bit of rise), a bum-stop seat, and maybe rear sets (maybe not). Today, it's just a style of customized bike. Some nice examples from here and elsewhere- many thanks to the talented builders:

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

You're right, Drewpy, its not a definitive history of cafe racers or society. I should have put quotes around the word definitive, and a little smiley face at the end of the sentence. I know it doesn't present an accurate history of cafe bikes and racing. The reason I threw it in there is because its a great satire on the shallowness of our commercial culture, which takes something that's fresh and unique and exploits and bastardizes it just to make a buck. It also says to me people don't look beyond what they can see, to delve a little deeper to get more information and knowledge, but just accept what they hear at face value. With all the information we have at our fingertips today, there's no excuse for that. I'm believe that's what the author of the animation had in mind when he made it.

For the original poster, just google cafe racer, about 5,810,000 results.

I got the irony, some peeps take it as gospel, much like the film U-571!

Back