Too high idle – what to do?

DK2600

XS400 Member
Reaction score
When the engine on my Yamaha XS 360, 1977 is hot the idle is to high – is like sitting on a ” swarm of bees” when cold choke is needed and the motorcycle start immediately and the choke is only needed for a very short time – should I use the throttle screw to adjust idle? – if YES should the throttle screw be turned clockwise or anticlockwise? – or is it something else that need adjustment? - I believe that engine must be hot before anything is adjusted, right?

Please let me have your experienced thoughts and guidance, thanks

Yes. Counterclockwise to lower idle. Clockwise to raise it. Adjust to 1200 rpm when it is fully warm. If it idles between 1200 and 1500, that's close enough in my book.

Well, thanks, meanwhile I have been advised that the mix properly was to rich and I should adjust the Pilot Screw on the carburetor when the engine is hot – I did that and idle vent the a stable level (I don't have rpm clock on my motorcycle) anyway, now the motorcycle runs very well when it’s hot, but it’s very difficult to start when it’s cold. I really don’t know what to do – you advise will be highly appreciated, thanks

Back