Trouble starting XS400 Special

EmBlaNce

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a trouble starting my bike that i recently bought. I got brand new spark plugs BPR6ES, the left plug cap is still a resistor one, and the right one isn't, because it was fouled and i just found a non-resistor one. So, first problem is - there is spark on both sides, but it seems that the one on the right side has a better(brighter) one. i guess it's because of the resistor cap? The plugs get wet, but when i try to start it it just coughs and tries to start but cannot. I cleaned the carbs and checked them but it seems that the left one is blowing out fuel in the air filter box. Also, the bike has a different air filter, it's not with the round inlet tube. Any suggestions? I checked the timing and it was okay. Also when i checked the voltage that gets to the coils with a multimeter, it showed 1 volt difference from the battery. The battery was 12.43, the voltage to the coils was 10.98. Can this be the problem? I tried to run a wire directly from the battery, but still no luck.

got brand new spark plugs BPR6ES, the left plug cap is still a resistor one, and the right one isn't, because it was fouled and i just found a non-resistor one. So, first problem is - there is spark on both sides, but it seems that the one on the right side has a better(brighter) one. i guess it's because of the resistor cap?

I was able to find new plugs, wires, and caps, at the same time. My experience has showed me, that sometimes wires get carbonized up (for lack of a better analogy) Which makes it hard for the spark to make a good spark.

another option i recommend, is to use the existing wire, and cut both ends. Shortening the wire for a grand total of an inch (2.5 cm). this solution will remove the carbonized end (consider both sides as bad) Coil side, and cap side. .5 inch per side

Also, the bike has a different air filter, it's not with the round inlet tube. Any suggestions? I checked the timing and it was okay. Also when i checked the voltage that gets to the coils with a multimeter, it showed 1 volt difference from the battery.

I suspect the difference of the 1 volt, is resistance. I would love to be chicken little, and make you worry about something that may not be an issue. So with out the engine running over 2,000 RPM's, it is hard to make sure everything is working.

The plugs get wet, but when i try to start it it just coughs and tries to start but cannot. I cleaned the carbs and checked them but it seems that the left one is blowing out fuel in the air filter box.
This is still an big issue. if the airbox is recieving fuel, and dumping out, that fuel can go both ways. so check the oil, with a smell check. if the oil smells like fuel,you will have to do a oil change.

So what else could be the culprit, (my experience) I had same problems, my problems was a hidden hole in my float. I am sure that there was one other issue that went along with it, I would follow the steps from the manual, and do a float check, and then the next day, it would be flooded.

The following 2 links, might be very good places for you take a quick glance at.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10715 Willems Bunch of How to's in a thread. This has a category with the re-wire. As well as the Tech tab on top of this page.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost....7&postcount=17 Here is the Manual. (don't do what the rest of the people do, when they don't read the rest of the thread) it is 45 megs download.

Back