Turn signals

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So, the project bike came with busted turn signals.

I replaced them with eBay compact signals. They are incandescent, but still stayed on solid.

So, I replaced the relay.

The relay was directly plug and play. It's 2-pin and plugs right into the original relay connector. You just need to make sure you plug it in to the two brown wires and not to the yellow-green one.

This bypasses auto-cancel, but I was not really concerned about that.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 131
Most auto parts stores will have basic two prong flasher for a few dollars.

Most auto parts stores will have basic two prong flasher for a few dollars.
This one was $7 shipped and I didn't have to go anywhere. :D

The only difference in 2 connector and 3 connector flashers is the extra ground lead the 3 type needs.

The XS OEM flasher is 3-prong, but the third prong is not ground, it's the auto-cancel trigger. I remember people trying to replace it with standard 3-prongers and getting all frustrated.

This is the absolute easiest way of doing it.

If so that would be the weird design one as the difference in 2 and 3 prong flashers has been industry standard and what I said for 50 years easy.

That of course can mean nothing if some engineer throws the rules out the window.

Just went rummaging through the wiring diagrams in the service material here onsite. That turn flasher seems to be the same 3 prong with ground as I described, simply wired to put the ground lead into the self cancel unit for further control. The ground then simply becomes the signal to the cancel that the turns are on on one side. That makes it the 'trigger' as said but the same flasher should work there, the output there does not care what it is used for so long as it still completes the circuit to ground to activate the main flasher.

In essence you have a longer interim latching relay on top of a shorter flasher.

Back