USA/Canada border crossing

Gzus308

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all!

Was trying to get some experience on the matter. I live in Idaho and am planning on riding up to Canada tomorrow for a week before returning home. I have a passport and all that normal border crossing stuffs... problem is my wallet got stolen today with my driver's license (let alone my other stuff!). Do they check a driver's license if a passport is present? First time driving/riding across the border and don't know if they'd need to see a driver's license/ motorcycle endorsement. Just have everything planned out and don't wanna miss out.

Thanks!
~Gus

I would highly recommend NOT riding across without your license. They might ask for it. It is illegal to drive/ride without it in all 50 states. I am pretty sure you can get a temp replacement or something like that.

A passport is required to prove citizenship. I've never been asked to provide a drivers license. But, if you get asked and can't provide one, you are screwed. You won't be in the USA, nor will you be in Canada. Your vehicle will be impounded if there is no other licensed driver with you who can assume control of the vehicle. If you get stopped by Canadian police (local, provincial or federal) after you cross the boarder, you will again face having your vehicle impounded and probably get large fines.

Get a temporary document of some sort from the DMV or delay your trip.

Yeah I'm gonna go to the dmv today and leave tomorrow. After I posted it I felt silly. Worried about a couple hundred bucks in hotel reservations knowing I'd be risking my bike and fees and other terrible things that go along with terrible decisions... Not worth it just pissed about my stuff getting stolen. Anyways, thanks for confirming that it'd be idiotic to risk it!

Back