VIN incorrect??

Mjolnir2k

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
New owner of what I believe to be a 1983 Yamaha XS400 Maxim. I have a VIN that reads as follows; JYA12R007CA083608 which does not appear to be valid according to Geico and the VIN search sites.

I can't figure this out, it is copied directly off of the bike and I know the bike has been previously registered / insured.

I have attached a picture as well to help ID the bike. looking to verify that it is indeed a 1983 as well as get any other model specific information I can.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 5Nc5G55K93Ib3Ne3H7c3pa2595e2b6d8d18b6.jpg
    5Nc5G55K93Ib3Ne3H7c3pa2595e2b6d8d18b6.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 280
what does it say on the title?check a motorcycle only vin search as there are a diferent amount of characters on bikes as compared to cars:thumbsup:

I would not be surprised that an insurance company's database may not go back that far. If that number matches the bike and title, Geico will be able to figure out a way to get it in it's system.

However, first things first- make sure you are not mistaking a zero for the letter "O".

My insurance company did not like the VIN on my 82 Heritage Special until I emailed them a picture of it.

Also, sometimes there is a typo right at the factory when they calculate the check digit of the VIN, which is the 9th, digit. A website that decodes VIN's
http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/yamaha.asp?
would not accept your number either but it would accept it if the "7" that is your 9th digit is changed to a "6".

Back