Won't run unless choked now?

bcbobbers

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, my bike has been running good all summer and all of a sudden it will not run unless it is choked. It will idle for a few seconds then spudder out and die if I put it at half choke or no choke even if the bike is warm. It dies right away if the choke is in and I give it gas which is weird since it runs fine with the choke out. :wtf:

I am wondering if the petcock is plugged or maybe the filter in the tank? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as always.

Sounds more like a plugged jet or plugged idle jet. The choke is providing the extra gas that it is lacking to run. I had this issue with my bike. My gas tank is clean but somthing got in there and plugged my idle jet. It's a carb pull to clean those out.

thanks thlillyr I was thinking it could also be something plugging a jet or something in the carbs. I am planning on taking out the carbs tonight and going through them again. I completely went through them two or three times this winter, but I know these carbs can be very particular if they aren't perfectly clean, so here we go again:banghead:

Yeah My gas tank is clean no rust at all. Even has some kind of white liner but somthings still got in my carbs and plugged my idle jet. I heard one guy runs sea foarm through his bike regularly to prevent any kind of build up. Sea foam is a fuel system cleaner of any kind of combustion engine or tranny. One of the top brands aswell.

definitely a clogged pilot circuit. After you clean the carbs again, use an inline fuel filter just in case something gets by the one in the tank.

So I sprayed the crap outta my carbs again and put them back on, it seemed to run a lot better and would now stay running on half choke and for a while when the choke is off. I then decided to change plugs because I know they have gotten wet a couple times so figured they may be fouled, after I did the plugs it now runs great when the choke is off, so I came to the conclusion that something needed to get cleaned outta the carbs and I needed new plugs. I also got a inline fuel filter on order so will be putting that on as soon as mikesxs ships it out. Thanks for the information again guys!:thumbsup:

Back