Xs 400 running poorly possibly on one cyl after about 5 min of starting

Crusher

austin
Reaction score
Hey all my 81 xs 400 will start and run great for about 5 min or so until it warms up. Then it seems like runs on only one cyl and of course has no power. Last time I had it running around it started to miss so I reached down with left hand and tried wiggling plug wire while driving and it shocked me so hard I about flew off the bike lol. Any ideas?

New wires, caps and plugs. Are the plugs black or wet? Have you totally cleaned and adjusted and synced the carbs? Have you set the valves? What air filters are you using and mufflers.

Well I was out there today and plugs look new and haven't touched the carbs yet just bought the bike and have not touched the valves yet I don't know what the clearance is to be set at.. I'm running pods for filters and just open head pipes flipped and brought to come out one side

I was out there trying to make a solo seat out of the stock seat it's a little sketchy but after I wrap it and figure out how to mount it il decide if I want it. But it seemed like it wanted to Rev out better with the. Choke out

You will need to clean and adjust the carbs. Replace the wires,caps and plugs it will be one less thing to worry about. Running no mufflers will cause a lot of tuning issues. What pods do you have and how are they attached to the carbs? The valve specs and other adjustment specs are all in the manual that you can down load for free in the classified section.

I put new plugs wires and caps as well as cleaned carbs and bumped jets up to 155 havnt started it since then but just thought I would catch you guys up

Back