XS400-2E

James Whitney

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a rough. XS400-2E. Half of the work is done making a cafe racer. The motor runs and has 16,000 miles on it. What is the average mileage you can put on this motor without having to rebuild it? Also, what does the 2E designation mean?

2-E is the model. It was the economy 1978 model. I have a 79 with 35k on it and run perfect. If was well taken care of 16 is nothing. If it has been all cut up it could be a pain getting running or street legal or safe. Post some pics before you buy it. Don't over pay for someones half done basket case.

First, thank you for your response, you
00H0H_4eqEYlgSW6X_300x300.jpg
r information is quite helpful. The bike is a rat bike. However, it is street legal. If I buy it I
00i0i_feerFsqSFwl_300x300.jpg
01515_jFRMTEMZMfK_300x300.jpg
will make it immaculate. Here are a few photos of it now. Please, tell me what you think about it,?

From what I can see, rear shocks are cheap rfy shocks, bad exhaust and bad pod style air filters on it. If it has good paper work and runs I wouldn't pay more that $400 to $500 for it.

The exhaust I would change to a 2 into 1 using either a SuperTrapp or a reverse cone megaphone muffler. New K & N air filters, rear shocks, front forks w/triple tree, clip-ons, remove paint from aluminum rims, abbreviated front fender and a total new paint job. Roughly $1500 to $2000 just in components. Total cost including bike: $3000. Plus, my labor. The main question: "Is it worth it"? Or do I buy a 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk GT with only 6k original miles for $1800. Of course I would put on a slip-on exhaust and a K & N filter. Plus, I would clean the carbs, install a Stage II kit and synchronize the carbs, new oil filter with full synthetic Amsoil, aftermarket cafe tail and seat, abbreviated front fender. New paint job. Both bikes have their own challenges. My question to you is which project would you chose to do?

These bikes with CV type carbs don't like pleated type filters. It causes too much turbulence. Black foam uni type filters work much better. These bikes came with a cross over intake air pipe or "H" style that hooked to the stock air boxes and engine breather. Running uni's on the end of that will give the bike a better tune. There are threads in the forum on this subject. So the guy wants $1000 for the xs400? I would pass. The Honda sounds like a better deal and would be a better bike.

XSChris, thanks again for your solid direction and advice. I believe that the Honda NT650 would be a much better bike. I bought one new for $2900 in.1988. It was a terrific motorcycle lending itself to me doing all the maintenance. I never had one issue with that bike. Thanks again, James

Back